Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cleaning out my pantry

So last night I made another healthy and delish meal. All healthy for the exception of the broth I used - once I noticed the lovely label of ingredients. I used to closely monitor and read the labels of what I brought home. When I started buying just anything I could on sale, buy-one-get-one free, coupons and such, I just bought to fill the pantry for less and neglected to care about what it really was.

Beef broth(at least it's the first ingredient, should have been the only one),
salt, Monosodium Glutimate (flavor enhancer), hydrolyzed corn protein (flavor enhancer), hydrolyzed soy protein (flavor enhancer), hydrolyzed wheat protein (flavor enchancer), dextrose (sweetener), onion powder, autolyzed yeast extract (food additive), caramel color (food coloring), partially hydrogenated soybean oil (trans fats), natural flavor (?? I probably don't want to know), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin b1), disodium inosinate (food additive), disodium guanylate (food additive, flavor enhancer).

This is beef broth people! Why so many unnatural additives and enhancers? Why are there trans fats in a broth? I guess the consumer is so troubled that it may not be brown enough in color so they have to add the caramel color? Unbelievable. Then you wonder why we are sickly all the time. I guess I need to make my own broth too if I want to know exactly what I am ingesting! Now I think I am confusing myself with a mom with plenty of time....

Here is the dish though. It was cabbage with cubed ham, carrots and onions sauteed in olive oil and a tad of butter. I added some dried herbs, salt, pepper, and that broth! I know I am being dramatic. It was really yummy and I will bring some in for lunch at work. I just need to eat the things in my pantry and get them out of there! Start over again with a new way to save on food, just a healthier way. Now I just need to figure out what way that is!


I served it over cooked quinoa. Quinoa is great and is the one of best sources of dietary fiber and is a good source of protein. It's easy to make. One cup uncooked quinoa to two cups water. Put both water and quinoa in pot and bring to a boil, then let simmer with lid on for 4-5 mins or until liquid is gone. Like you would cook white rice.

*Let me stop for a moment to say that I am truly blessed with the life I have.*
I am indeed grateful for all I do have. Even those demons in my pantry. I have food to eat, my husband is my best friend-my everything, I have two beautiful children, I have a nice home and I feel so loved. I have recently had a rumble in my financial stability. Something I have been taking for granted all these years because it has always seemed to be safe and constant. Nothing horrible, all will be okay I am told. So I will continue on and not worry about what I can't control. What is most important to me is that we are together as a family. I will do all I can to fight my inner pessimist and try to see that if change happens, it could be a good thing.
This Thanksgiving and Christmas will actually hit me more in the heart than those in the past. If I just stop and look around I do see how good I really do have it. That's something I think people forget to do often and I admit I don't reflect enough. I don't really want anything for Christmas this year. I just want to see my daughter's bright eyes when she opens her presents from Santa and want to just sit and watch her help her brother open his.
Right now I want to think of those who have lost their jobs during this economy and hope they find a way to get back up and fight for their families. I want to think of all the children who will be growing up in this world and I hope that we can change our ways, clean up the planet and better our economy for their sake. I have brought mine into the world and I want them to have the opportunity to dream and do whatever they want and I will do whatever I can to help make it happen for them.

No comments: