Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Getting back to basics.

Finally I was able to make a dish I had not made in a while. Getting back to real food again instead of the boxed, just add water chemical cocktail. Food like what our grandparents used to make from scratch. Chris's grandmother used to make the best homemade biscuits and I loved her beef stroganoff. My Nanna used to make all her food from the garden, corner vegetable market and right from the sea. This dish was super easy, really yummy and healthy too. Just some concoction I threw together about a year ago and just modify it. This is one of those good dishes that does not take a long time to make. This time I added some leftover pork tenderloin we grilled on Saturday and just cubed it up in there. I love to saute' different vegetable blends. Add some broth, herbs, salt, pepper and Braggs and you can't fail. I love Braggs and I use it all the time. I like to use it in place of soy sauce in some dishes as well.

Chris didn't really used to care for brussel sprouts before. But I have successfully converted him I think. He loves to eat them this way and likes to eat them when I drop them into vegetable soup.
I guess I will call this my Brussel Sprout Saute'. I have made it with just vegetables or you can add cubed ham, pork, beef, chicken or extra firm tofu. (It's great with the tofu because it absorbs all that flavor!)

1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper (any color)
3 chopped summer squash
2 lbs brussel sprouts cut in halves or quarters depending on size.
1 cup vegetable, beef or chicken broth
salt pepper to taste
handful of fresh sage, oregano and parsley chopped or teaspoon of dried Italian mix
1/4 cup of Braggs or 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce.
1 cup cooked penne, spiral, bowtie pasta
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, walnuts or pecans

Cook pasta al dente and strain. With olive oil cook peppers and onions until onions are clear, add brussel sprouts, meat (if you have it) and saute for 5 mins. Add broth and herbs, salt and pepper and stir. Then add your Braggs or soy sauce and let cook a couple of minutes. Add pasta and summer squash, simmer 5 more minutes. You want some liquid but can cook it longer to reduce if you prefer. Remove from heat, toss in toasted nuts and serve. Yummers!

The cool thing is you can add or remove whatever vegetable you like. You can add garlic, serve over rice, quinoa, polenta or as a side dish with meat.

We got these orchids to help add some greenery to our back patio area without the clutter of too many potted plants. They seem to love it back there and Chris has taken to them and has them under his care. They are looking very happy. Last night they slept on the dining room table due to the freeze we had! They don't dig the cold!




Looking puffy and tired but I am in one of my favorite places. Home and cuddling with my little man.

So wide awake, so close to bedtime! It's a bit early for the Christmas jammies but these were one of many donated jammies we got from a friend this past summer. If it fits now, wear it! Actually, these are kind of snug and may not fit by Christmas. She's growing like a weed man! I love all donated clothes and I love to pass mine on to others. As much as I love nice clothes, when it comes to school and play time the kids either grow out of them too fast or destroy them in no time.

No comments: