Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's finally up

I usually have my tree up the day after Thanksgiving. This year we were not home and to be honest, I was a bit hesitant with Kristjan on the prowl. So far we have not had a major disaster. We just pull him away when we see him near. He seems to stay in his play "zone" in the living room pretty well, but sometimes he quickly crawls over and takes a grab. I am trying to keep from having to buy a pen to surround the tree, though I think I will have to do so especially when the gifts start adding underneath.

Now that the tree is up and the house has some decorations I feel more in the spirit of the season. Now, to just get in gear. I have said it several times, I need more time! The things I would like to do and the things that get done are not at all the same. I so want to make some homemade goodies to give like the truffles, cookies, and maybe some granola. I have so much to do and I have to admit that it's quite frustrating for me even though I know it should not dominate my every thought. All the things on my plate that I have to do squeeze out the things that I want to do.

I started eating consciously yesterday. Meaning to me that I would make the extra effort to think about every morsel that I put in my mouth and try to keep the bad stuff out. I have done it before and stuck with it for a time always to fall back again to the norm. This time I shall try again and see how far I get. Last night I made stuffed poblanos with ground hormone and antibiotic free turkey with rice, herbs and pine nuts with tossed summer squash with a little curry and cumin. I put some medium salsa over the peppers when I baked them. There was just enough heat there to savor and still be able to taste those rich peppers. I think they are my favorite pepper so far. I have leftovers for work and I can't wait!

Okay; from yesterday, we have the result of using your oven for temporary storage. I put the cupcakes in a Tupperware bin and put it in the oven to clear up my counter space. That pretty white stuff on the cupcakes above is not the icing, it's the lid! I got a nice loaf of whole grain flax bread from the store that I wanted to warm and serve with some humus. I turned the oven on and continued washing dishes. Suddenly I start smelling cupcakes baking. After a couple of expletives upon realization, I quickly removed the melting glob. Lesson learned with a few laughs on the side.

No comments: