Monday, January 12, 2009

I feel bad for even mentioning it

But we had a great weekend weather wise down here. Now for those up north please don't kill me! At least you get seasons to enjoy! We won't get a beautiful blossoming spring like you will. We will go from pleasant to down right smoldering with 100% humidity. You walk outside and your makeup melts and your clothes are wet. I hope that your winter calms down soon. I hear it's really nasty up there on the east coast. Heck, the whole northern region from east to west got slammed.

It was in the mid 70's during the day and I was able to open the windows and air out the house some this weekend. The kids played out back and I took some pictures too.

Bella pool side. The water is still spring water cold but it still looks inviting.


Krisjan giving Nannu directions to the pool. No buddy, it's way too cold still!

Chris's orchids. His other plants are growing their blooms now.

Sage


Oregano

Rosemary and lavender


Thyme


What is left of my poor basil. One herb I use the most. All of my herbs except for the lavender and rosemary are pretty much used up and puttering out. Time to replenish!


Kris loves riding around in the red wagon. Just sits there quietly and looks all around. Maybe he'll get another ride tonight (weather and sunlight permitting).


Azalea's blooming

My cute little man.

It's day 12 with no sodas or fast food for me. Still staying strong on that front without any urges so far to go astray. Luckily I am still grossed out by the fast food idea which helps. Speaking of gross. I was cleaning out and reorganizing my pantry area and I needed to throw away a couple of Bella's old lunchboxes. In one of them I found an uneaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich still in the zip lock bag. The scary part was that it looked like I just made it! I don't know what state the contents inside the sandwich were in but the bread had no mold or any markings of deterioration at all! Bella had not used that lunchbox in over 3 months! The bread was Nature's Own Honey Wheat. The label says it contains no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors. So what's all that crap in their ingredients then? Bread is supposed to be water, yeast, salt and flour. That's it! My first error was giving her "Unbleached Enriched Flour" instead of whole wheat. Stay away from those three words if you can! It will be hard because you will see them everywhere!

Here are the ingredients from their web site for the honey wheat:
UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID) WATER HONEY HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR RYE FLOUR WHEAT BRAN YEAST CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: WHEAT GLUTEN SALT SOYBEAN OIL VINEGAR CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR DOUGH CONDITIONERS (CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, MONOGLYCERIDES AND/OR DIGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, CALCIUM IODATE, DATEM, ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES) YEAST FOOD (AMMONIUM SULFATE) MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE CALCIUM SULFATE ENZYMES SOY FLOUR SOY LECITHIN

It's obvious there are preservatives in that mess so that the bread can stay on the store shelf and look all pretty for the consumer. They are just playing with the "no artificial" words so that you see it and buy it while they preserve using mad science, non-artificially. I am still puzzled why they need to also include the corn syrup in there...

So at our house I will be on a quest to teach my kids about cooking and maybe it will help them to get excited about eating better. Well, Kristjan is still learning to eat period. I have to admit I have a little problem coaxing Bella into eating anything that isn't chicken, cheese, bread or green beans but I think if I work with her more, eventually she will appreciate the tastes of different things. There is one supper healthy thing that she will tear up without a problem and that's salmon! So now Chris is not the only Salmon lover in the house.

There she is ready for her first cooking class.

No comments: