Friday, January 9, 2009

My quest to learn

I am on this quest to fill my brain with as much information regarding the truth about what is in the foods that are available for me and my family. Foods in the boxed stores and in the restaurant world, the facts that the government, health care companies, fertilizer/seed companies and major food lobbyists don't want you to know or care about. If you are not interested in my passion for knowing the truth then you can wait for another blog entry I guess or you can read on.

Right now I have come upon a few interesting things that help me in my quest to ban the fast food world. Watch The For Year Old Burger and see how well preserved a McDonald's cheeseburger meal is after 4 years. I've had this happen to me - ever found old french fries from McDonald's in the back of your car from a month ago when cleaning it and noticed they still looked like they were purchased that day? I have. You know if you put a real french fry that you made yourself (sliced the potato and fried it in oil) and stuck it in your car for a couple weeks you would have a smelly, black, moldy mess. Real food decays and McDonald's food does not. Therefore, McDonald's food can't be real and it must not be processing too well in our bodies.

To me a french fry should be potato, vegetable oil and salt. I went to McDonald's web site and hunted down the ingredients listing. Here's what they say makes up their french fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). * CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

The paragraph of scientific ingredients is twice as long for their chicken McNuggets...

Most people who know me, I know think I am neurotic and weird and that's ok. I know I'm not the only one bothered by this and I am not sure why I feel compelled to inform because I would never want to push my ideas on others and that's not my intention. I used to not care about what I ate. Now I am starting to be aware and I do feel that what you put in your body is what you get out of it and it does reflect your health. It never hurts to be informed.

No comments: