Monday, March 9, 2009

Another milestone

Bella got her first visit by an ethereal creature last night. The tooth fairy came, gently took her tooth and then left one Abraham Lincoln and one George Washington in it's place.

Last night while she was eating some buttered bread with dinner, her tooth finally dislodged in her mouth. She let out a scream and then said "Mamma"! When I saw her call my name I could finally see the gap! So I told her to spit out in my hand (gross I know) what she had in her mouth and I then fished it out! Voila! She was so excited about it! Chris and I let out a big *sigh* that it had finally come out. Pictures to come.

Saturday I went over to my friend Janet's house for some marathon cooking. The kids and I had a great time! Alex, her husband took the girls to the park and then for some ice cream and Kristjan stayed behind and teased the cat and took a cat nap.




We put together some bulk items and split them for freezing for future meals. We made rice, pasta, meatballs, red sauce and Janet made this amazing Rosemary White Bean soup. Now I have some premade items for faster meal prep.

Let me tell you about that Rosemary White Bean Soup. It's so delicious that Chris and I had two helpings Saturday night along with some fresh baked bread. We were both so full we could not move. I have a little left in the freezer but want more! I actually have some dried beans soaking to make this soup tonight! Thanks Janet for introducing me to that soup. Wow!

Here's the recipe from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) at foodtv.com if you want to try this heaven in a bowl:

Rosemary White Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 pound dried white cannellini beans
4 cups sliced yellow onions (3 onions)
1/4 cup good olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large branch fresh rosemary (6 to 7 inches)
2 quarts chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a medium bowl, cover the beans with water by at least 1-inch and leave them in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.

In a large stockpot over low to medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 3 more minutes. Add the drained white beans, rosemary, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beans are very soft. Remove the rosemary branch and the bay leaf. Pass the soup through the coarsest blade of a food mill, or place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until coarsely pureed. Return the soup to the pot to reheat and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.

1 comment:

athomewiththeknights said...

Yay Bella!!
Glad y'all liked the soup; it's one of my favorites. And yes, we must do some more cooking like that! I had a blast.