Monday, March 30, 2009

Wishing I could bottle up a Sunday afternoon

Yesterday started out with some much needed rain. We slept in and then Bella came and we all goofed off in bed for a while. As soon as Kristjan started fussing for his morning bottle, we knew it was time to get up and start the day. I had a mountain of laundry to climb, the house to pick up and Chris needed to pack for his trip and bottle his beer.

First the bottles are sterilized.
His carboy is brought in to the kitchen from the fermentation frig in the garage. He lets it sit on the counter a while to make sure any yeast that may have floated around settle back down.

After siphoning the beer into a sterilized bucket he adds sugar to reactivate the yeast that does still exist in the beer. He then siphons the beer into the bottles. With his handy dandy tool he caps them.
Ready to be placed in the dark closet to age and carbonate. Four weeks later and we should have some yummy English IPA ready to enjoy.

My tomatoes have doubled in size and the buds are growing. I hope these three plants can give us a great supply this summer. I may get a couple more just to be on the safe side. Any extras can be cooked and put in the freezer.

I need to get more peppers. I know my hot peppers will provide plenty for us. One bell pepper will not be enough. The squirrels are still digging in them I think. At least I think it's the squirrels. I have not seen one in action yet.

After the rain had cleared we were left with a cloud free sky with little humidity. It had cooled some and the breeze was very pleasant. I opened all the windows and had to go outside and experience the afternoon. My favorite time of the day is about an hour or so before sunset. The sky is so blue, the air has usually cooled from the heat of the day and it seems the colors on the trees are so vibrant and green.

Krisjtan loves the outdoors as much as I do. He is perfectly content outside. There is so much to explore.
Bella was dancing and singing to "Annie". I am sure the neighbors were amused!

Off for another adventure.

Speaking of bottling. I wish I could bottle up days like this. It would greatly help on days at work when I am feeling down. Just open it up and bring me back for a while. This blog helps me. I come back here for a moment or two when "corporate society" gets too overwhelming.

No comments: