Monday, June 8, 2009

Another weekend has come and gone

I need to thank Grandma and Grandpa for their package that we received Friday. The clothes fit well and are welcomed and we love getting books. The kids really love to look at and read books. Bella liked the book for Kristjan too. She decided to paint a picture of the book cover in thanks. I think she did a fabulous job. The little baby gives me a chuckle too. :o)
Check out this newly born couch potato. He's adopted Bella's Tinkerbell chair and even puts his foot up for optimum relaxation. This is all thanks to Elmo and his sing a long songs.

Ok, I do my best to balance out the TV time and play time. So outside we go. Bella's so pretty. I think I'm going to be in trouble when she gets older. By the way, she's been doing much better since we've banned food dye. She's also feeling much better after her couple of days of fever and soar throat. We didn't do any pool time this weekend. I didn't want to aggravate her immune system.
I have to say that I think while even watching Elmo, if I said "Want to go outside?" he would definitely get up saying "side?" and race to the door. He loves being outside. We can't say the words "outside", "pool" or "bath" unless we truly intend to do it. Otherwise he gets pretty upset.


My jalapenos have been getting quite large. I have been using them whenever possible. Just wish they had more heat to them. My serrano got dug up by our squirrels and perished. I'm going to pick up a few more chili pepper plants this coming weekend.

Relocating my oregano into the ground was the best thing for it. We have very sandy soil (heck, it's sand - period) and it loves it! They naturally grow in the sandy and rocky soil in the Mediterranean so this environment fits it perfectly. I've been putting it in my sauces and herbed rice.

Even though I only have three tomato plants at the moment, I have been getting plenty of fruit from them. Recently with the influx of much rain, they have all gotten cracks so I have to pick them before they ripen fully. They are so very good though. Better than any store or produce market tomato I can find. I plan on getting three more soon as these plants are nearing their final weeks.

This Saturday I went over to my pal Janet's house to visit, coupon swap, eat like a pig and have a few refreshments with a few friends of hers. She's been holding these monthly gatherings for a couple of months now and I finally got to attend. I even spent the night which allowed me to truly relax for a while. Janet and her husband were very gracious hosts and fed us a wonderful dinner and then made breakfast the next morning. I had a great time and got to meet some cool ladies. It's nice when you can meet people on the same mind set as you. Makes me feel better, like I'm perhaps not just crazy in my thinking, only nuts. I look forward to attending again or even hosting

When I got back home, I smooched with the kiddies for a while and then started cleaning and cooking a bit while Chris battled with the rain and mowing the grass. I believe he had to stop and start around five times but still managed to get it all done.

I made a batch of brown rice for the freezer and cooked up some more vegetable broth. I've been saving all of my vegetable clippings and storing them in the freezer. Things like mushroom stems, tops of peppers, ends of carrots, tough stalks of greens and asparagus etc. I just toss them in my stock pot, add water, salt and pepper and heat it up. I didn't add herbs this time and it still ended up with a good flavor. When I tasted, it reminded me of my Nanna's soup she used to make. I filled up three tubs and two muffin tins worth. Just popped those out of the tins and threw them in a large bag for small serving sizes. Very cool.

If all goes well this evening time wise, I have three VERY ripe bananas that I am going to use to make banana bread. If all goes well, you'll get to read about it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

athomewiththeknights said...

I'm coming to your house!!! You have me drooling over here now. Glad you had a good time; I had a blast. We'll have to do that again.

Nessa said...

Let's hope the bread turn out. My last (and only one) one I tried ended up like a wet brick!