Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Don't judge a recipe by its lack of ingredients

I found that out last night! I made the Portobello, broccoli and red-pepper melts last night. With a few changes though. I used button mushrooms instead of portobellos, orange bell peppers (because they were cheaper but same general taste) and goat cheese instead of the Gouda. I baked a loaf of bread, sliced it up and put on the sauce. Topped them with the roasted vegetables and cheese and then roasted them some more. Man, those buggers were good! I can't count how many times Chris told me how much he loved them. I couldn't believe his reaction. I told him I had made some adjustments to the recipe but he told me not to change a thing for next time. He ate more than his share and I loved that he was enjoying them.
I chuckled a little because there are times I spend all day laboring over a special meal and I'm told it's good, but this meal took me less than 20 minutes and had only a handful of ingredients and I got major reviews! Gordon Ramsay is completely right when he emphasises that less is more when it comes to food. Just a few good ingredients allows you to enjoy the complete taste and also taste them individually. I like that and may plan on focusing on more dishes like that.

By the way, roasted broccoli rocks! I have a head of cauliflower that I plan on roasting tonight. I hear it's the best way to enjoy it.

Here's a picture Bella made for me yesterday. There's a cute little island with a palm tree with coconuts, some fish, a couple of star fish, sea weed, a cute crab and a very colorful squid. Oh, and we can't forget the fire breathing sea monster! Now this one is a definite keeper for her bin.

1 comment:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Those DO look good! I will have to try that. :) I LOVE peppers and mushrooms...

Val