Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Keeping it light

Last night I made linguine with summer succotash. It was very light and tasty. You get 4 ears of corn and remove corn from husks. Split the corn in half. When boiling the pasta, save 1 cup of the pasta water. Put a 1/2 a cup of pasta water with half of the corn in a food processor and blend until creamy. Drain pasta, rinse and set aside. In the same pot with a little olive oil simmer the other half of the corn and the sugar snap peas. After cooked a little add the halved cherry tomatoes, corn sauce that was blended, other half of the water, basil and pasta and toss a few minutes. At the end, add a little cheese. Very easy with just a handful of ingredients. I did have to add more water in the end just to give it more of a creamy texture.

To accompany it I decided to make that traditional balsamic dressing like I learned at cooking class. I just tossed it with some rocket and a little shaved red onion. It was dreamy! I've now realized that I don't need to spend any more money buying dressings at the store. They can all be made at home for a fraction of the price, minus the chemical additives and preservatives.

I made the balsamic dressing just as I learned by emulsifying it instead of just blending with a fork or whisk. I used my stick hand mixer in a bowl and blended until it was completely smooth and emulsified. This way, the oil and vinegar will no longer separate. Genius!

No it's not cattle feed, it's Chris's barley malt and rye after he has put them threw his mill. He buys them whole and mills them himself for a fresher product. He places the grain in a cooler and pours in boiling hot water (has to be a certain temperature) and lets it steep for a scheduled period of time. The water that comes out will be his wort and will have extracted the sugars in the grain. That wart will then be boiled with the addition of hops for about an hour, then cooled and yeast added for fermentation. Beer making is a very cool process.

Enjoying a nice cold pint glass of it is even more cool.

No comments: