Thursday, August 20, 2009

What a sport

Kristjan is on day three of being without the binkie and he is doing really well. At first; when he asked for one, we would change the subject and get him interested in something else. Now, we simply tell him that the binkie went "bye bye" or "no more binkie". He hasn't had a melt down. It's almost like he knows it's not coming back and is fine with it. To be honest, he's sleeping better and is in a better mood without it. What I like about it most is that I can understand what he's saying now.

Like I mentioned before, he only used the binkie at home and usually when I was around. Never at school and never at Nanna's house. The doctor recommended he not use the binkie because the constant suction may be irritating the eustachian tube and ears, perhaps aiding to the ear infections. She also wants him off the bottle as well.

I'm going to deal with the bottle issue when he's completely comfortable without the binkie. One thing at a time. I feel for the dude. Kind of reminds me of when I quit smoking. You want it, but you don't need it. It's just a comfort or oral thing to get over. I'm proud of the little dude and think he's got it beat already.

Captivated by Finding Nemo. I couldn't help but notice how upright and nice he was sitting. Funny how babies know the proper way to sit, with their backs straight. Then something happens along the way and we end up slouching. Good posture has gone the way of the dodo bird I think. I hate to admit that I'm included in that criticism. Mom used to yell at me unceasingly to not slouch. "Boobs out!" she would say or "Don't slouch!". She has perfect posture and keeps it as such. Her back is in better shape than mine because if it. I have to correct myself almost constantly when I'm at my desk at work and while standing.


If you happen to have a Williams-Sonoma store near you, they offer free technique classes on some Sundays at 12:30pm. The classes run about an hour. I have attended a couple of classes already and am really enjoying them. Here is the new list for the upcoming classes they are offering:

Crepes & Croques: Sunday, August 30 - Learn the technique for preparing delectable crepes, which can be filled with sweet and savory ingredients. We will also show you how to make the classic grilled sandwiches known as croque monsieur and croque madame.

Classic French Techniques: Braising & Sauteing: Sunday, September 13 - Learn the classic techniques of braising and sauteing. In France, home cooking revolves around the seasons; as these two techniques utilize different ingredients, they will provide you with a wealth of ideas to be enjoyed throughout the year.

Bistro Suppers: Sunday, September 20 - Learn about the essential French spices and how to use them in classic recipes that are easy to prepare at home.

Espresso, Cappuccino or Coffee, Anyone? Sunday, September 27 - We'll show you the differences between various coffee machines and how to brew your favorite coffee drinks. Learn how to control the strength of coffee and how temperature can affect the flavor.

Fresh Pasta: Sunday, October 4 - Discover how easy it is to make fresh past at home. We'll show you the techniques for preparing delicate fresh pasta, plus tips for cooking and serving it.

Knife Skills: Sunday, October 11 - This class will cover everything from the essential knives and cuts to specific knife functions, such as making garlic paste, slicing ginger, and creating simple garnishes. Learn which style of knife matches your cutting style, along with the basics of knife care and maintenance.

Fall Baking: Sunday, October 18 - This class will showcase classic fall desserts that both children and adults will love. You'll learn how to make a great apple pie, delicious pocket pies, and delectable cupcakes. We'll also demonstrate how to decorate our favorite haunted house. Savor the season's best with these recipes for autumn.

I won't make it to all of them, but I'd really like to attend the pasta class, the braising and sauteing class and perhaps the baking class. I probably NEED to attend the knife class. Not so much on my technique, but on using the right knife for the right job, care and maintenance. My knives are never sharp enough!

2 comments:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

How old is he? Logan still has his binkie too... but only when he sleeps. When he is done sleeping he pops it out, asks for a snack and we put it in a bowl on top of the fridge. He is 2 1/2. I keep wondering when that part will stop... but he is SO stubborn, that I think we will have to make a deal with him.

Your little guy is SO cute! And you're right... what a little sport. {{hugs}}

val

Nessa said...

Kris is 21 months. I intended to let him use the binkie longer or until he no longer wanted it. I am trusting the advice of the doctor on this one. As long as he continues to take it well, I don't feel so awful about it.

I am reluctant to take the bottle from him yet. He so adores that time and I still hold him when he drinks it.