Monday, September 21, 2009

All out of whack

That's me. I have been missing in action for a few reasons. Last week I got my seasonal flu shot while I was at the doctors getting my cholesterol checked and had a reaction to it. I basically got a mild flu for a few days. It was a treat, let me tell you. I'll remember to get my shot on a Friday and use the trick that the nurses use (thanks Ninnie) where you take two Tylenol just before the shot and then two 4 hours later. I'll be getting the kids their shots when they become available. It scares me with the Swine flu going around and the kids in school with all those other children....just passing the germs from one another.

Then I had Chris in Tennessee visiting family and celebrating Ninnie's birthday so I didn't have the camera. Mom and dad fed me very well while he was away. Friday, Saturday and Sunday as a matter of fact. Very nice of them to do that for me and the kids loved seeing them too. Dad made some more game hens and I have some leftovers to add to a dish this week. I also have a new batch of bones and such for more broth. I made some broth this Saturday from last week's hens and shared it. Mom made some scrumptious Kapunata and we had that with some fresh bread. I have some of that leftover to savour too. I borrowed one of her Maltese cook books and I can't wait to try some recipes.

I didn't make a menu for the week or even plan any recipes. This time I just raided the produce stand and got essentials from the grocery store. The only meat I picked up was some pancetta which I will use to flavor a lot of the vegetable dishes I plan to make. I always browse the seafood section, but as usual there is nothing fresh to be had. I don't want farm raised salmon or previously frozen grouper that is sitting there smelling something awful and costing way too much a pound. Considering we live in a state surrounded by water, it's pitiful we never can find any fresh seafood. I would have to travel closer to the coast to find some.

I'm in need of a cleansing period. This flu thing I had also left me with a sour stomach kind of bloated and just irritated. I think it's time for some nutrient dense vegetables and fruits along with some clean-you-out brown rice and quinoa. I picked up some rutabagas, cabbage, brussel sprouts, summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, rocket, beets, sweet potatoes, garlic, bananas, peaches, plums and pears. Time for some improvising in the kitchen.

Here are a couple of pictures of Bella and her great-great grandmother Mama Ruby who turned 102 this August. There's also a picture with her cousin Emily. They both look like sisters. These photos are a treasure to me. Thank you Ninnie!
The rest of the pictures where taken with my cell phone. Here's Kris having a soak near the pool. I just dumped out his block bin and filled it with water. He just likes to sit there and throw toys in the pool for us to fetch for him.
Bella and I made some cupcakes yesterday. I made some creme fresh for the icing. Kris just ate the creme fresh and then destroyed the cupcake which ended up everywhere. This picture is post hair cut. It looks a little rough because he was thrashing about during his haircut. He's not a fan of the salon quite yet.

On Friday we enjoyed some strawberries with balsamic sauce with ice cream. Man was it dreamy! I'll have to remember that combo for future treats.

Tomorrow I should have some pictures from Tennessee to share. I have so much to get caught up on. Between cleaning up my house, greatly needed cleaning out of bags and purses, and just general organizing. I feel lost and out of sorts at the moment. I actually need a couple of weeks and weekends so that I can get my little life back on track. I gotta get my head straight before the holidays come rolling in or I'm in trouble.

No comments: