Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The food of Fall

It's the first day of Fall and even though it won't feel that way for us until mid November (if we are lucky) I can still embrace this season in the kitchen. I love Fall and Winter vegetables and stock up on them whenever I can find them fresh at the produce store. Especially those leafy greens, cabbage and squash. The produce stand I go to grows a lot of their produce on site with some of it being hydroponically grown. They grow their kale, greens, Swiss chard and some spinach that way. It's wonderful when they are in season.
Last night I conjured up the idea to make a quick toss about. I have here 3 cloves of garlic sliced, 1 thick slice of pancetta diced, 1 small onion chopped large, 1 pound brussel sprouts cut in four ways or in half (depending on size) and 1 green pepper largely chopped.
I first cooked up the pancetta in a tad of oil until slightly crispy. Added the garlic and brussel sprouts and tossed until some were golden and then reduced the heat and added a little vegetable broth and crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt. Cooked about 8 minutes and then added the onions and peppers. Simmered a bit more with the addition of a little broth and served it over brown rice. I like my vegetables to still have some crunch to them.
I had some leftover of mom's eggplant Kapunata that I set out to get room temperature. This stuff rocks! I can't wait to make a tub of this stuff for us. Makes a great snack or side dish.
I baked a loaf of wheat bread to go with the Kapunata. I think I may be getting closer to a successful wheat bread recipe. Turned out sweet and smooth instead of a heavy shot put.
I didn't have a regretful feeling about this dish at all. Full of vegetables and fiber, that's what I was looking for. The Kapunata was attacked and quickly consumed. It didn't stand a chance once Chris got a taste of it.

No comments: