Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In on the action

Someone has been adamant about sitting proper at the table lately. He's been pulling out the chairs and climbing up himself. This makes me nervous because he has fallen before. I have to watch this one like a hawk. I wonder what he's up to...
Oh, I think he wants in on the action with Bella, dad and homework. Maybe he wants to help. He's been singing the abc's lately and doing pretty good so far!
Here I am being told in toddler talk that I should give him some homework so he could "play" at the table too.
My first attempt at guacamole. It was still a bit tart and nothing like what my friend Mark in New York made. I have more work to do. There are dozens of recipes on this dip, just not sure what direction I want to go. This is what I did:

4 avocados removed and diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 red onion chopped
pinch of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cumin
juice of 2 lemons
salt & pepper
bunch of fresh cilantro chopped

Put the avocados, garlic, cayenne, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cumin in a bowl and pureed with my wand processor until smooth. Then I added the chopped onion and cilantro and mixed.

Next time, I'll use less lemon juice for sure. But there was still something missing...
Simple black bean salsa to accompany the steak quesadillas I made. The quesadillas were good but very juicy and kind of messy. The recipe I used called for baking them instead of grilling or pan grilling them. Won't do that again.

Black bean salsa

1 can black beans rinsed well and drained
3 plum tomatoes chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 bunch cilantro chopped
salt & pepper
juice of half a lemon
1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce

Mix all together and enjoy with chips, tacos, burritos or as a side to just about anything!


I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the lovely gifts we received from relatives in Malta. Thank you for being so generous. Mom had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see all of the photos she took.

No comments: