Monday, September 28, 2009

Something for everyone

This weekend I made the time to get some pizzas put together. I was making pizzas just about every Sunday for a while there. I have so much fun making them, perhaps I'll put them back up on the weekly schedule. I just want to make sure I don't tire of them. As long as I keep it interesting, I'm sure I won't.

Dough resting before I top with goodies.

Basic Pizza Dough

Using Kitchenaid mixer with dough hook attachment. You can mix and knead by hand of course.

  • 6 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups warm water

In a bowl warm up water and put in yeast and let sit for a minute then add the sugar and olive oil and stir until incorporated. In your mixing bowl add the flour and salt and mix until incorporated. Add the water mixture and process until dough is soft and springy. On floured surface knead dough until smooth and form into a ball. Place ball in a large bowl rubbed with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at least two hours.

The dough should rise almost double in size. Punch down dough and tear off amount you need per each pizza. With your dough (on floured surface) press with your fingers to spread in a circular fashion and lift gently to stretch out the dough. Do this until it forms the size you are looking for or to fit on your pizza peel or pizza pan. While the dough rests (about 15 min), preheat oven to 450 degrees. Top pizza and bake directly on stone or in the pizza pan approx 14 minutes or until done.
Caramelized onions
This pizza was topped with caramelized onions, sliced and sauteed portabello mushrooms, goat cheese and a little red sauce. I sometimes use home made sauce or just pop open a jar and spoon as needed. A jar of red sauce I can use for all sorts of dishes. There's usually always an opened jar in the frig for one thing or another.

After baking. This pizza was made to order for Chris.
I was in the mood for something else. For this pizza I cubed up a few slices of eggplant and quickly sauteed them to get them cooked down, I then sliced up a small green bell pepper and 4 cloves of garlic and tossed them about in a pan for a few seconds. On the pizza I then topped with red sauce, feta cheese, diced ham, eggplant, green pepper and garlic.
Out of the oven and wonderful.
Bella's pizza is always easy and only has red sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. That's it.
Her pie is a smaller one and she still has leftovers to munch on the following day. I have been temped to make it larger because Chris and I always take little sample slices while we wait for the others to bake. Now, if we could only get the little man to eat a pizza pie.

Next time I want to try out my friend's technique. She forms the dough but then browns it on both sides in a large pan with a little oil before topping a baking to make a lighter, crispier crust.

3 comments:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

thanks, this is a basic that can be adapted to seasonality, ohhh goat cheese and fresh pears, all the great things that can be done !!

Nessa said...

Thank you for that wonderful idea. I happen to have some pears at home. Do you bake them a little with the goat cheese on top?

athomewiththeknights said...

You have to try the cast iron thing. ;) I did that last week before I popped them in the oven. I have a thin crust dough recipe, but I think I want to try something a little different next time. Hmm.....I might have to make pizza this week.