Friday, September 25, 2009

Cabbage toss about

I really seem to like making these things I call "toss abouts" because, that's exactly what they are. A blend of ingredients added little by little and tossed together. I think the term has already been taken...stir fry anyone? I may invest in a wok one day. I have an electric stove and I've always thought a wok worked far better on a gas burner. Of course stir frying is a much faster process than what I am doing. I still let things simmer a little bit.
One small head of cabbage coarsely chopped.
About 3/4 cup of chopped cilantro.
1 medium onion, 1 green bell pepper, 2 carrots, 1 celery stalk and 5 cloves of garlic. All vegetables chopped coarsely with the garlic being sliced.
4 links Italian spiced chicken sausage cut in 1/4 inch slices.
With a little olive oil cook the carrots, onion, pepper, celery and garlic until onions are translucent.
Add the sausage, salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon (large pinch) of crushed red pepper. Yes, I like a little heat! Cook stirring occasionally about 8 minutes.
Add the cabbage, cilantro and 1 cup vegetable broth. Cook about 15 minutes or so stirring to make sure the cabbage is getting cooked. We want to wilt the cabbage before adding the final ingredient.
Add 3/4 cup red sauce or marinara sauce and simmer another 10 minutes. Again, I like my vegetables to still have some crunch to them. If you prefer mushy, cook longer. Serve over brown rice.
Cabbage with chicken sausage over rice.

I'm working on my menu for next week. I still have some vegetables in my frig and pantry to use. I know I'll be getting some more cauliflower to roast again. I'm hooked. I've been craving mashed rutabaga madly and plan on making that very soon. Just need to come up with great accompaniments to it. I'm also craving some fresh seafood! I think I'll invest in some tuna if I can find some. Grilled tuna steaks with loads of garlic and parsley or with pesto. I know! Served with mashed rutabaga!

2 comments:

$.RYN.$ said...

looks yummy.......will ask mum to make it some day..........ps; could u plz switch of word verification for commenting....plz....kind of annoying :(

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Um YUM! That will be on the menu for next week. Thanks for the inspiration. Most of my kitchen energy is being used to put stuff up. I need someone to 'inspire' dinner. ;)

Blessings,

Val