Wednesday, October 14, 2009

For the love of school pictures

I'm not a big fan of the school picture. I think people look much more alive and bright through candid shots. I really didn't like any of mine and from what I can recall, most people loathe their school pictures. They become pretty comical once you've grown up and look back at them, especially during those awkward puberty years. Though, do kids even have that anymore? I mean, most females go from looking like a girl at 10 to looking like a woman at 11. All those hormones in the dairy and chemicals in the boxed foods... That's another topic all together for another time.

School pictures are an institution though. They show the gradual changes in a person through the years. Probably because the pose never changes, but the features and hairstyles do. I have a picture frame next to my bed where I display the large 8x10 school photo of Bella. Every single year or school photo from daycare ever since her first one at 10 months old is in that frame, with the most recent one on the top. I have the same for Kristjan. He's on picture number one so far. Every year when I put the new photo on top, I look through all of the photos from oldest to new again and am amazed. Sometimes I get teary eyed, sometimes I laugh. It's all good.
Here is Bella's 1st grade school picture. She's looking so lady like. Originals to go out in the mail.
Crash and burn. When you play this hard, you can fall asleep anywhere. I think the ottoman was at the right place and the right time.

3 comments:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

so cute

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Aw, your kiddos are adorable!

Lorna said...

hi I am Lorraine. We still have your school photo on the shelve of our unit. well you were cute and she is too Your hair was long and curly.