Monday, October 12, 2009

Getting back on track

Last week was a mini whirlwind for us. Bella was out for three days due to strep and then on the day she returns to school, daycare calls needing Kris to be picked up. Back to the doctor I went to get him tested. Luckily, he didn't have strep, but did have a sinus infection. My mom helped us out greatly and watched him on Friday for us.

Here we are in the exam room waiting for test results. Despite the mild fever and runny nose, he was in great spirits. We are now all back to work and school all the while keeping our fingers crossed to stay happy and well.

Saturday Chris and I enjoyed a foodie inspired night out together at our friend's place. We brought a case of assorted home brew with us to sample and give as well as some appetizers. Mom made a delicious platter of Kapunata for us to bring, I made some hummus along with a platter layered with roasted red peppers, grilled portabellos, basil and fresh mozzarella drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

My friend Kimberly had prepared a beautiful display of Horsd'oeuvres herself. Some sweet potato and yucca chips sprinkled with blue cheese and balsamic vinegar, some imported olives and fresh baked bread. Before dinner we enjoyed some dreamy pumpkin soup served with toasted pumpkin seeds and chives. The home brews were being tasted and enjoyed and we took a stroll out to see the barn and the chickens. I also got some more of her wonderful eggs! I'm so excited. I covet them.

Kimberly's husband brought out the cast iron skillet and seared up some fillets. Dinner was Filet Mignon topped with a blue cheese cream crust, served with sauteed leeks. On the side was a small dish of mashed roasted garlic and balsamic and a glass of well aged port wine. To my surprise she had a dessert in mind. Whipped marscapone cheese with fresh berries and some chilled Frangelico.

It was wonderful. I can't say that any restaurants that I have been so far where we live could compete with any of that. The combination of the wonderful food, drink, company and their beautiful home made it just perfect. Too bad we can't eat this way all the time. Though, I believe my waistline and ticker would disagree. We had such a good time, we didn't get home until after 1 am. I remember gasping: "Chris! It's midnight, we have to go home!"

When we got to their front gate, we noticed one of their cows were out and next to the road. We then had to persuade her to go back into the pasture which made us even later. I still chuckle when I remember seeing Chris corralling a cow that evening.

I will have to remember to again thank mom and dad for watching the kids for us. We really enjoyed our evening!

3 comments:

athomewiththeknights said...

OMG, I want to go eat at her house! I'm drooling now. Glad you guys had a great time.

Nessa said...

It really was lovely and we weren't expecting all the food! We are still rolling around and processing that meal! We ate like pigs!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

That food sounds amazing! My mouth was watering just reading it. lol...

Poor babies. I am so glad they are feeling better. We have been out at our house too. It stinks.

Love Val