Monday, October 19, 2009

One of my all time favorites

Sunday was a beautiful day. It was in the high 60's, no humidity and not a cloud in the sky. I was able to still open some windows a bit to bring some of that crisp air in. It was time for a childhood favorite meal of mine. First, I had some saved frozen chicken bits to make into broth.
In my large stock pot I added the game hen bones and skin, some chicken necks, a whole onion, some carrots, celery salt, pepper and water. This simmered from 10:00am to about 6:00pm. This stock is ready to enjoy as is. I do happen to enjoy a heated cup of broth every now and then.
Here it is. Chicken noodle soup served over mashed potatoes. A great example of warming comfort food. In my stock pot I sauteed 1 chopped onion, 2 celery stalks chopped, 2 carrots chopped and 4 cloves garlic chopped. Since I was using my broth which has more flavor than canned (in my humble opinion) I didn't pressure cook a chicken for the broth and meat. I instead chopped up 2 chicken breasts in cubes and added it to the vegetables when the onions were translucent.

Once the chicken looked cooked I added broth, dried parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. While this was simmering about 25-30 minutes, I pressure cooked my potatoes. I added some whole wheat egg noodles to the soup and simmered until noodles where done. Poured soup right on top of a dollop of mashed potatoes.


******************************
I really had a lot of chores Sunday. I still have left over duties, I always do. Some times I can get them done during the week or they just carry over to the next weekend. I guess that's why it seems so endless....it never ends!
After Kristjan's nap I made a point to stop production, crack open a brew and head outside while the weather was still so lovely. I am thankful that we have a play set. We had it built because our local park is not as nice and clean as the one we went the day before. Kristjan got to go sliding again.
Kris likes to do things on his own and wanted to climb up every time himself. I give him a few months and he will be like a monkey on that thing.

Who needs toys when you have mixing bowls and loads of wine corks? Chris and I have an extensive collection of corks. We've saved every one for about fifteen years now. I'm still thinking of making those trivets with some of them and a couple of cork boards. That is, if Bella will let me.

No comments: