Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Soup time!

I am desperately trying to get into the spirit of fall and the holiday season even though it's still a blistery 98 degrees outside. I love the colors, food and mood of the fall and winter. Too bad it's so damn hot! It's seems silly to have decor of maple leaves and winter squash down here, but we do it anyway! I look forward to the time when I can experience the change of seasons and maybe even have a real snowman at Christmas one day.

I've been eating and making winter vegetables and am in the mood for warm and hearty soups. Saturday's pumpkin soup was so delicious, I must get the recipe, make it and share it. Last night I went over to my parents to heat up my sweet potatoes (due to my dead oven) so I could make this soup. It was truly delish and I loved those sweetened apples with it. It really was quick and easy and filled us up nicely. No guilt included. That's always nice.

Sweet Potato Soup

  • 4 sweet potatoes
  • olive oil
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 red bell chopped
  • Greek vanilla yogurt
  • 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves chopped
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
  • 4 cups vegetable broth

In a 400 degree oven bake potatoes until soft in center, remove insides and and discard skin.

In a large pot, add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized. Add bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Add rum, sweet potato, and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cook about 20 minutes.

If you have an immersion blender, place in pot and puree soup until smooth, otherwise, you can work in batches and use blender. Taste again and see if more salt or pepper needs to be added.

Sweet Curried Apples for topping:

  • 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
  • 4 teaspoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 small apples peeled and diced

While the soup is finishing simmering, use a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the vinegar, curry powder and honey to a boil. Add the apples and saute until golden, just a few minutes.

Put soup in bowl, add some apples on top and then a dollop of Greek vanilla yogurt. You can use sour cream if you like.

3 comments:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Oh YUM!!!! That looks so good. :) I will have to try it. I am putting up a sweet potato soup soon as well. But mine is super simple and has lots of peanut butter. ;) Love your recipes!

Val

Nessa said...

With peanut butter! That does sound yummy! I can't wait to see your recipe for that.

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Woah, that sounds absolutely delicious. I just wish it was cooler here in HK... right now soup seems too hot!