Monday, October 5, 2009

Sweet and savory

I have a tendency to find something I like and then make it constantly until I kill the pleasure of it. I'll have to be careful with the roasted cauliflower. It's a great flavor I don't want to get tired of. Funny how I say this because I'm making hot sausage and tomato risotto again this week... It's so wondrous, I can't help it.
I know I made a version of this idea the other day. Hmmm, I'm seeing a repetitive trend here. See what I mean? This time I cooked the kale with pancetta, lots of garlic and sweetened it up with some maple syrup while I seared chicken breasts on high heat with some dried herbs.

Seared herb chicken breast with kale and pancetta with baked sweet potato
  • 3 chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 tablespoons dried herbs (rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano)
  • salt & pepper
  • 4 sweet potatoes (baked until soft in center - about 1 hour @ 375 degrees)
  • 6 cups fresh kale coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped pancetta
  • 6 cloves garlic sliced
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth

While the potatoes are baking...in one sauce pan sear the pancetta until crisp and some of the fat is rendered. Add garlic, more oil if needed and the kale in batches. Once all of the kale is wilted add the broth and let simmer on low 1o minutes. Add maple syrup and simmer on low (covered) 10 more minutes. During the kale's final simmer, sprinkle chicken with herbs, salt & pepper (generously on both sides) and sear on medium to high heat until golden on each side. Remove and put on plate to rest covered with foil. Remove potatoes from pan, cut in half and pour on the kale mixture, then top with chicken.

2 comments:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

oh this looks good. i love your blog. btw -- hoda and kathy lee are talking about women in the work place who seem to progess very rapidly in the workplace .......... there are the interesting untouchables in the workplace.

Nessa said...

Thanks! I try to play in the kitchen when I can. It's easy for me to stick with one thing and stay in a rut. Eating healthy in a pinch is my challenge too.

Oh yes, I wonder what these women to on the "side" to keep them in such high standings? Places I wouldn't go or things I wouldn't do. It's amazing what stories go on behind the scenes and what people will do to get ahead.

I like sleeping with a clear conscience. :o)