Thursday, October 22, 2009

Testing the water with both feet

There's that old wise saying to never test the depth of the water with both feet. That's completely true in most cases, but when you are like me and tend to stay on the edge contemplating whether or not to take a risk, I've found it's better to just jump in and see where it takes me. I've done that a couple of times lately with some dishes that I have been afraid to make thinking it would be too difficult or would fail miserably.

To my delight, they opened my eyes to great new experiences and gave me a little more confidence in the kitchen. The same epiphany happened last night with my first attempt at spaghetti carbonara. I was convinced that the eggs couldn't possibly be cooked enough and there was no way I was using any store bought eggs to make this dish.

I had some fresh eggs from my friend Kimberly's well cared for chickens. I trust those eggs and have even enjoyed having some eggs "over easy" again. It was the perfect time to hold my nose and just dive in with both feet and make this dish the real way.

Before I even started warming the water for the pasta, I first wanted to get the half and half, cheese and eggs as close to room temperature as possible to help aid in them cooking. In a large bowl, I whisked together the three eggs, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of half and half, set aside. I started up the water for the pasta. While that was heating up I grabbed 1/2 of a package of bacon and sliced them crosswise into about 1 inch pieces and cooked until crispy. Set aside on paper towel to drain.

After you have drained the cooked pasta, immediately place the pasta (even with a little pasta water still dripping) into the bowl with the egg mixture, add the bacon, season with a little salt and pepper and toss to combine. The heat of the pasta cooks the egg. I added some chopped parsley to mine and some shaved Romano cheese on top. **Very important! Make sure to serve and eat immediately! If you wait too long it turns into a clumpy dried up mass.

It was incredibly easy to make and very delish. To think, I used to make "carbonara sauce" from a Knorr powder mix (long ago, mind you)! Though, I do believe it took more preparation and effort to use the mix on this dish than making it from scratch. Imagine that.

Now, to apply this same thinking to other areas in life. Hold my nose and jump in with both feet.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I have never tried Spaghetti Carbonara...maybe I should? Hmmmm...Friday night dinner!