Monday, October 12, 2009

Twenty pounds of tomatoes

Last night while getting ready to prepare dinner, I had the oven warming up to heat up some chicken for Bella. I noticed through the oven window these flashes of light. At first I thought perhaps some bits of food from a previous cooking had landed on the element and was burning so I didn't really pay much attention to it. When the bursts kept illuminating through the oven window, I opened it back up, lifted the foil I keep on the bottom and noticed that the element was sparking.

It was starting at the right hand side and this bright red sparking light was moving left towards the other side of the element where it meets the back of the oven. The element had broken and this ball of fire was moving towards the other side. I turned off the oven but it didn't stop the movement. Chris shut off the breaker, removed the element and had to order another one.

Of course; this week, I have almost twenty pounds of tomatoes to roast and no oven to roast them. My sweet potato soup also requires the oven along with the roasted beets. I'll either have to improvise or use the grill instead of the oven. Please....if it's going to rain, do it early this week.

Spaghetti Puttanesca

  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 6 rinsed anchovies,
  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, and their juice
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions; drain; return to pot.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and anchovies, if desired, mashing them with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 2 minutes.

Add whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking up tomatoes with hands. Stir in capers and olives. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Toss with pasta; season with salt and pepper. (Martha Stewart)

***********************

Since I was surprised with steak the night before, I didn't grill up any meat for Sunday like I had planned on my menu and went with the pasta for a lighter meal after Saturday's feast. I like to give my system a beef break and don't like to eat it two days in a row if I can help it. For us, beef is usually a once a month thing, so this week is a little change from that.

I didn't have any spaghetti around so I used linguine. I assume just about any pasta would do. I did add the 1/2 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper and it gave a nice heat. This was a super fast dish, great for the week night rush and very delish! I'll be keeping this one in my recipe box.

4 comments:

athomewiththeknights said...

Funny. That happened to our oven - twice. Hope your element comes in soon! Of course, when it goes out is when we need it the most, right?

Nessa said...

Always! Figures too. I wonder if we can still use the broiler feature? I'll have to investigate that.

Holly said...

Oooo, 20 lbs. of tomatoes, I am jealous. The recipe sounds fantastic. Our oven is on the fritz..I am just waiting for it to go out right when I need it most.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

(1) hello neighbor or (2) excuse for a new range !!!