Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Better in threes

Last night I created for the first time a trilogy of elements. The asparagus were a bit tart (from cooking in the champagne), the sweet potato was; well, sweet and the chicken had the saltiness. If I tried to just eat the asparagus alone, I was put off by the tartness and the chicken alone was a bit salty. However, when I made sure to get a little of each on my fork, a wonderful fusion of flavor emerged.

Chris said to me that it reminded him of when we watch Iron Chef and the chef instructs the judges to make sure to dab this along with that to taste the item together instead of separately.

I still had some leftover champagne and knew I had to make another sauce. It was one of those throw together meals that ended up turning out beautifully. I have to write it down before it's forgotten forever.

Herbed chicken with baked sweet potato and asparagus cooked in champagne reduction

  • 1 pound chicken breasts halved
  • 4 sweet potatoes well washed
  • 1 pound asparagus with ends removed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon Herbs De Provence
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 cups champagne

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. You will be baking your potatoes until they are soft in the center - about an hour. Season your chicken on both sides with the garam masala, oregano, Herbs De Provence, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Sear chicken on both sides until browned. Move to plate and cover with foil. In the same skillet add 1/2 cup of the champagne and deglaze the pan. Add the asparagus and the remaining champagne and cook until liquid is reduced about half and the asparagus is tender. You may have to add more champagne if the asparagus is not tender enough and the liquid is reducing too much.

Plate with baked potato sliced open with asparagus on top, served with a chicken breast with sauce poured on top.

I am planning on taking some photography classes soon. I am really interested in learning more about my camera and using it properly. I am sure I am missing out on some great photos. This will also hopefully aid in making my food pictures look a little more appetizing. That, or I will have to get a mini studio going with proper lighting as Chris tends to tease me about when I'm snapping photos in the kitchen. I see some beautiful captures of food online and from other blogs. I can't imagine everyone has a studio with controlled lighting. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling the majority of it is user error on my part with my camera.

Correction: The camera I got Chris for Christmas that I have basically confiscated from him ever since I took my first photo and realized how much I loved to use it.

No comments: