Thursday, November 5, 2009

Roman pasta

Found this Roman pasta recipe called Cacio e Pepe thanks to A Cup of Jo the other day and knew I had to try it right away. It's a super easy dish where you mix together spaghetti, Pecorino Romano, a little pasta water and lots of cracked black pepper. I'll have to make it for mom, she absolutely loves black pepper. This dish is for her. The pasta was quite good and Chris and I were surprised that so much flavor came from just three ingredients.

Bella helped me make the meatballs. We mixed together 1 pound ground turkey, 1 small onion chopped, 1 egg, 1/4 cup chopped bacon, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 3 cloves garlic minced, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs.

Rolled them up and baked them at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes then added them to a pot with about a cup of organic beef broth and simmered another 20 minutes. I initially had the lid on so that they could braise a bit and get extra moist, then I removed the lid so the sauce could reduce a bit.

************************

Just a little note on a little experience I had this morning on the way to daycare around 6:15 a.m. while sitting at a traffic light facing east. The light was taking forever, but I didn't mind. I was completely contented watching the beautiful sunrise. I've always loved the sunrise, it seems much more quiet and peaceful than sunset.

There was a slight mist on the little valley below and the layers of clouds reflected such brilliant colors. I sat there and looked upon the whole landscape, realizing how large this picturesque scene was and its complete beauty. I thought, "How many people just do their thing, and not see this and how many times have I done so as well?" I told myself to take it all in and never forget while promising to always appreciate what is always sitting right there in front of me. Whether it be the vastness and grandeur of the beautiful sky or the little giggles of my children playing in the tub, it's all here to be experienced and cherished. Be present, look and listen.

5 comments:

athomewiththeknights said...

The pasta sounds great. :)

As for the sunrise, I try to notice them. I did miss it this morning, seeing as though Kali is still hacking up a lung while she sleeps, so she's been in bed with us and snoring like a lumberjack. I missed my run and therefore, missed the sunrise. I love them. I love the beginning of a new day and the quiet of the morning. Running is my religion. :)

Nessa said...

Seems like the most peaceful religion out there. I bet you get to see some beautiful mornings.

I hope Kali feels better soon. Sometimes that crap stays in the chest for weeks.

Polly said...

the pasta looks delicious!

And yes, I think we do tend to forget to appreciate the little things, its so nice that you are able to take the time to remember what a special place we live in.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

nice to see the meatballs. i was out of town and did not want to pay for the wifi, so i had to use the computer in the lobby. you site was blocked cuz there was some reference to wine.

i thought that was funny.

cure holloween costumes.

Holly said...

Yet another great recipe. Thank you!