Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Some tummy clean up

I try and eat healthy as much as possible, but at times I just fall off the wagon with blunt force. I'll stop by a Greek restaurant for lunch and grab a Gyro filled with meat and tzatziki sauce or have a giant grilled Reuben at my favorite German spot.

Even having too much red meat or meat in general makes me feel bad about my diet. Not just because of my cholesterol, but because of my conscience regarding animal welfare. Getting certified humane, antibiotic free, vegetarian fed, hormone free meats in restaurant fare in my neck of the woods is few and far between. My solution to feeling down about my recent eating escapades is a period of cleansing foods. The key here is to stay on these foods and not stray. Sure, that's it.

Quinoa is a super food in my book and I love the taste and texture. It contains a balanced set of essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein source. It's also a great source of dietary fiber and is high in magnesium and iron.

Sauteed vegetables with tofu sausage and red quinoa

  • 1 cup red quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 small yellow squash cut in 1 inch chunks
  • 1 shallot minced
  • 1 orange bell pepper chopped about 1 inch
  • 1 pound brussel sprouts quartered or halved (depending on size)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 large pinch crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 package "Gimmie Lean" soy sausage

In a large pan with a little oil cook sausage breaking it up until browned. Transfer to plate. In same skillet, saute shallots, peppers and brussel sprouts with a dash more oil. Meanwhile in a small pot add the water to the quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with fork. Once the brussel sprouts have browned a bit, add soy sauce, crushed red pepper and broth.

Once the liquid in the skillet has reduced by almost a half, add the squash and the cooked sausage. Simmer another 5 minutes. Serve on top of cooked quinoa, sprinkle cilantro on top.

Gimmie Lean can be found in most grocery stores. To me, it tastes just like Jimmy Dean! I'll have to do a taste test one day. Not sure if I could get my co-workers to oblige to such a challenge. None of them would touch a piece of tofu if you paid them.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That sounds great. I have quinoa in my pantry but really have been intimidated to make it myself. I eat it other places..time to try it!

Nessa said...

Oh, it's so easy. Just cook it like rice. I was intimidated too and sometimes it seems to lack in flavor. Just like rice, it needs a little help.