Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bits and pieces

Since so much time has passed I'll just give you bits and pieces of some of the great food that passed our way.
Some spicy seared shrimp to top on a salad. I marinated them in some Cajun spices, paprika, garlic powder and a little soy sauce. Tossed them about with a little olive oil in a hot pan and served on a green salad.
My first attempt at cranberry dressing. I had heard a chef on the radio spill out this easy recipe and tried it myself. In a pot put in 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup of orange juice and some orange zest and simmer until thick. It was very delicious and easy as pie.
Every year for Thanksgiving I like to make Martha's Autumn Vegetable Succotash. It's quite simple and always delicious. There's also another reason we like to make it though...
The leftover succotash and turkey combine to make the best pot pie! Dad has that recipe mastered and we always look forward to it.
We are getting more recent here. This is just the other night. I took out gnocchi, brussel sprouts and cauliflower and placed them on the counter. Chris said "What are you going to do with that?" He usually likes gnocchi baked in a cream type sauce and was scared I had something bizarre going on in my head. Well, I always have something bizarre going on in my head, but that's irrelevant to this!

I decided to make him his beloved gnocchi with cream sauce. I preheated the oven to 450 degrees. I first sauteed a chopped onion, some sliced mushrooms and some sliced ham until the mushrooms has released their liquid. I then added the cauliflower florets and cooked until al dente. I removed them from the pan and put in a bowl. In the same pan I seared the brussel sprouts. I got them nice and browned before adding back the items in the bowl along with a little beef broth. I cooked until the broth was reduced a little then added some whipping cream.

In a large baking dish I added the items from the pan, two tablespoons butter, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. I baked it for about 25 minutes until thickened. Chris was smitten and made me promise to make it again.
What's better than plain mashed potatoes? Mashed rutabaga. It's so dreamy to me. Cut up a rutabaga in chunks and boil until tender. Mash and add butter, cream, salt and pepper. You have just created magic. If I don't have cream, I'll use soy milk or even broth. It's all good.

Also here are those cute little Spring onions. I just sauteed them with some balsamic dressing for a while and served.

May this be a sign that I can rejoin my beloved blogging community! I also have a task to complete - a gift from 504Main. I promise to get it done! :o)

No comments: