Monday, March 22, 2010

Bon Appetite has not failed me yet

I have been getting Bon Appetite magazine for about 15 years now (thanks to mom and dad!) and none of the recipes I've prepared from them has failed me. Every one of them have been delicious. Most have enlightened me to new flavor combinations and foods. It's a wonderful resource. I always look forward to my new issue every month.

Yesterday I decided to prepare the cover recipe for March. But first, a little look at my morning of cooking down kale. I purchased a case of it, gave some away, cooked a few bundles when suddenly the leaves were beginning to turn yellow on me, so I had to cook the rest down to save for later.
I had to clip off the stems, wash and then spin first.
In two pots with olive oil, garlic, onion, little white wine and broth I filled up a baking dish with the cooked kale. I used some for my dinner and the rest went in the frig for dinners later this week.

Back to last night's dinner. I made the Eggplant Parmesan Rolls with Swiss Chard and Fresh Mint which was the cover recipe. I also linked it as the feature recipe of the week on here because it was so delish! I made two modifications: used kale instead of Swiss Chard and used shredded mozzarella cheese instead of the Buffalo because I had it already on hand.
The eggplant I cut into 1/4 inch thickness. I salted them and let them sit for about an hour, rinsed and dried them and then broiled them about 3 minutes each side. I then put a little bit of the filling on each and rolled them up. The filling was kale, fresh mint, ricotta cheese, Parmesan, 2 eggs, salt and pepper.
On the bottom of my dish I put a layer of red sauce and then laid my rolls seam side down.
Poured more red sauce and then the cheese. The recipe called for putting a slice of cheese over each roll (as pictured on the right) but I used what I had. It's all good.
I baked it covered for about 30 minutes and then uncovered another 10-15 minutes until golden.
They were yummy little rolls! I'll be making this again! Like I said Bon Appetite rocks!

I just so happen to have extra filling left over that I put in the freezer for a rainy day. I think a purchase of two more eggplants will soon be in order.

2 comments:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

yum. i love eggplant. thanks.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

also -- i wanted to say that i love to add kale to soups because it keeps some shape and texture !!