Monday, March 8, 2010

House never smelled better

I am being completely serious! I've never cooked any Indian food before and knew they loved their spices, but had no idea that cooking with these ingredients would light up my house with such vibrant aromas! Chris was super excited to eat with all the smells coming out of the kitchen. He was like a child in a candy shop.

First off, I have to thank my dear friend Janet for telling me about this dish and I hope she shares her chicken curry my way (hint hint!). My comfort has always been Italian cooking but I love to travel the globe in the kitchen. From the flavor blast from this dish, I know we'll be traveling to India again soon for dinner.

Yesterday in between frolicking outdoors I had a stew pot full of saved vegetable clippings and turkey bones simmering away all day and some dough rising for bread later with dinner. I believe my yeast may be old. It doesn't rise as much and I can't get those large bubbles of air in my bread. Seems too dense for my liking. It's good, just dense.
This is a recipe I nabbed from the web. This is a very healthy meal, full of taste and easy to make. The recipe called for yellow split peas. A split pea is a split pea. All I had was green, so that's what I used.

Split Pea Dhal

  • 2 cups split peas (yellow or green)
  • 4 cups water or broth
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 3 tsp cumin
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

In a large pot, place the peas in the broth or water and bring to a simmer. Add the turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper and cover. Allow to cook for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a large skillet, heat the onion, cumin, and cloves in the butter. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the onion and spices to the split peas and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.

Add a dash of pepper and more salt if desire. Serve over hot brown rice or alone in a soup bowl.

Fantabulous!!!

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess Designs said...

I want dhal now!! :) Check out the Plan to Eat.....the recipes I got from Jenine for dhal and chicken curry are on there. I used 11 cloves of garlic in our dhal. OMG. It was seriously like heaven on a plate. And if my recipe for naan is up there, you have to make that, too. Totally drool worthy.