Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Back to the toss about

I had no clue what I was making but started off cooking up some onions and red bell pepper to get me started. While I was stirring, a piece of bell pepper flipped out and landed on the counter. Using my 30 second rule, I of course plopped it into my mouth. It was so good. I realized how much I loved the flavor of cooked red bell pepper. So very sweet and rich. I could have just eaten those babies on some pasta and be done with it. But I didn't.

I ended up making this kind of Kapunata hybrid. I wanted that Kapunata taste, but didn't have the time to make it the proper way. I cheated really. It was still very good though. Just another toss about, this time over some red quinoa. First I cooked up about four potatoes chopped in my pan with olive oil until browned then set them aside. Then I cooked 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped red bell pepper until the onion was translucent. I added the mushrooms and then removed them, set them aside.

In the same pan with more olive oil I cooked up one eggplant cut into 1/2 inch cubes until tender. I then added back the onion mixture, 1 tablespoon or so capers, 1/2 cup kalamata olives and 1 can chopped roasted tomatoes. I let that simmer a while before I added back the potatoes. At the end I added a handful of chopped basil to finish.
The red quinoa cooked and ready. Doesn't it look interesting? I love the stuff and it's the perfect food. It's high in fiber, minerals is gluten free and is a complete protein.
Served my toss about over the quinoa. Good stuff. I can imagine you could mix and match many other vegetables for this. I guess that's what most of my toss abouts are all about!

1 comment:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

it is nice having something healthy and quick, even if it is not a traditional dish.