Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Portion control

Yes, portion control is out of control with me. I'm about the same in regards to having things in moderation. If I like it, I want it all the time. Both items being thorns in my side. I'm just like a little brat when it comes to those two.

If I have a plate of my favorite delight in front of me, I feel compelled to finish it all. Whether my belly has given me the signal or not.

Chris and I both use glass tupperware for work so that we can nuke our food in the same container. Remember folks, don't nuke your food in those plastic containers unless you don't mind having chemicals leeching into your food. I had recently broke my container and had to replace it. I replaced it with a smaller version. Hopefully to help with my portion control deficiency.

Summer Squash, Cauliflower and Portabello with Quinoa

  • 5-6 small summer squash sliced
  • 2 cups cut up cauliflower
  • 3 medium portabellos sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups white wine or broth
  • olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or water

In a small pot put in the 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed.

In a large pan with some olive oil, cook the portabello slices for about 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and crushed red pepper and toss for 3 minutes more. Add the squash, tossing for about 5 minutes before adding the salt, pepper and wine. Cook until liquid has reduced by almost half, add the parsley. Serve hot over the quinoa.

1 comment:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

portion control ... what is amazing is that if you east a smaller amount "mindfully" it is often enjoyed so much more.

as u.s. americans, our society has done shift on what is a normal amount of good to consume in a day.

when i watch my portions, i eat more of a variety of food and overall enjoy the flavors more.