Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Delectable dahl

I'm going to have to find a good Indian restaurant in the city so I can experience more of their flavorful cuisine or find a place where I can get some cooking classes. So far, the flavors and aromas coming from homemade curry mixtures I've made completely blow my mind.

I was listening to a podcast from one of my vegan pals and she had an hour tutorial on lentils. The different types, where they come from, how to cook them, etc. On the way home from work, I decided I would make dahl again and this time use lentils instead of split peas.

Chris was helping Bella with her homework when I started preparing the lentils and began to get all excited from the awesome aromas. He knew I was up to something good.

I've already posted the basic dahl recipe, but I'll do it again with the lentil modifications. I topped the lentils with some seared summer squash with chicken sausage and then made a salsa with my home grown tomatoes and parsley.

Lentil Dahl
  • 2 cups brown or green lentils
  • 4 cups water or broth
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 3 tsp cumin
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper


In a large pot, place the lentils in the broth or water and bring to a simmer. Add the turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper and cover. Allow to cook for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a large skillet, heat the onion, cumin, and cloves in the butter. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the onion and spices to the lentils and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes. Add a dash of pepper and more salt if desire. Serve over hot brown rice or use as a base for veg or protein.

Chris and I agreed that we could have just had the dahl alone with the bread and it would have been just perfect. I recommend this dish to all! ;o)

2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow Vanessa ure really dedicated in your kitchen. Also the presentation of your dishes is impeccable:) take care cus

Best Wishes, Marie said...

i posted two foodie posts on my blog. partly to ans the age old question, “what do i do with a giant head of cauliflower.” i have two great recipes that I made and photographed, and of coarse, commented on. the best part is that one can eat the veggies and not feel like a cow, chomping on curd. over and over.