Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Raiding the snack bin

That was me last night! I raided the kid's snack bin. I'll get to that in a second; but to start my story off, I bought some thin pork chops that were on special and didn't really know what to do with them. I don't have a huge amount of experience with pork chops, especially the bone in variety.

When I do buy bone in pork chops I usually get a thicker cut which seems to act like a buffer in my mind to help me over that fear of over cooking and creating dry and chewy disks of pork. This time I took the plunge and got some thin chops.

So then, I had to determine how to cook the little buggers. I thought I'd throw a little Indian spice rub along with some sweet textures. I rubbed the pork chops with a mixture of Garam Masala, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and paprika. I then seared them on both sides in my grill pan for about 3-4 minutes per side and put them in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small pan I combined some goodies that I raided from the kid's snack bin. Raisins, chopped up some dried apricots, a tub of diced peaches with the juice, a tub of diced pears with the juice and some apple juice. I let that reduce and then added some Disaronno Amaretto and reduced again until thick.

Let me clarify that the Disaronno Amaretto did not come from the kids snack bin. That came from mom's snack bin. Ha!
The side dish consisted of some left over herbed brown rice from the night before (cooked brown rice tossed with roasted pecans, fresh basil, cilantro and oregano, salt, pepper & olive oil) tossed with some chopped spinach. I warmed the rice until nice and hot then tossed the spinach enough to wilt while adding a little sherry vinaigrette.

It turned out quite flavorful and I was happy they came out still tender. After all of that, we all enjoyed the spinach concoction the best. The easiest thing I threw together.

Funny how things work sometimes.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You're very creative! The chops look delicious! I'm new here and really like your blog! Way to go and I must try this for chops!