Sunday, August 8, 2010

Facebook food club

I believe I may have mentioned before that we are in a small, yet growing facebook foodie club. It all started about 6 months ago when a friend of mine decided to form this club after she noticed the same individuals responding to her daily "What's for dinner?" posts. The replies range from extravagant foodie delights to fast food fatties. Those of us who have been replying with great meals throughout the months decided to band together for dinner every couple of months and all bring in a dish to share. There have already been three meetings. Each with a different theme.

The first meeting was themed around the main course of fillet roast. The second was Spanish tapas or other favorite appetizer foods. The third and most recent theme was soul food. I have to tell you, Chris and I left early on this one. There was so much "rich" food there containing butter, lard, bacon, cream, cheese, etc. We were really miserable. The first thing we did when we got home was take our cholesterol medicine!

I went as authentic soul as I could get while others threw their own into it. I made skillet cornbread served in a cast iron skillet, collard greens cooked with ham hocks and okra with butter beans.
My beautiful collards before cooking. I love greens.
There were some yummy fried meats. Pictured is catfish. There was also fried chicken and fried gator tail.
Sauce for the catfish.
A creamy squash casserole. There were other savory dishes not pictured. Macaroni and cheese that was recreated with farfalle, Gruyere and lobster meat and there was also cheesy grits served with shrimp cooked in a bacon broth.
Can't forget those southern desserts. This was the fruit cobbler.
Upside down pineapple cake. Not pictured we also had pecan pie and bread pudding with whiskey gravy.
We have an actual chef that has joined our group. His foods have so far been my favorites as they all have been packed with flavor and you can tell he knows what he's doing. This was is delicious red beans and rice with andouille sausage. Not pictured we also had black eyed peas and smoked barbecue ribs.
Pimento cheese dip. It was my first ever experience with this dip and it was very delish!
Pickled okra pin wheels. Surprisingly good.
My cooked collards. It turned out just they way I wanted. Tasted just like those I've had at some of my favorite country restaurants. My okra and butter beans was not a hit. I didn't realize how slimy okra is. Grossed me out.

We have not decided on the next location or theme for our next meeting yet. Chris and I will be hosting a meeting when the weather cools so we can open up our small home to make more room. The theme when we host will be English pub style food. Fish and chips, bangers and mash, Cornish pasties, Scotch eggs, corn beef and cabbage, Shepherd's pie etc. Chris will make sure to have some stout or other pub brews ready as well.

No comments: