Monday, August 16, 2010

Thank you Jamie, Janet, Joe and Chris

This post is dedicated to all of the wonderful people that helped me create a lovely Sunday dinner.

It's great when everything comes together so well. I spent most of the day slowly preparing things throughout the day in between cleaning, playing and resting. I had no idea in the beginning that all these little additions would create a great combo by the end. To start things off, I woke up a little miffed because I forgot to soak the chick peas overnight. Not a problem though, there was an easy solution!

If you ever forget to soak your chick peas (or any dried bean) overnight and you have a little time to spare that day, do this:

Get a cup of dried chick peas and look through for any foreign objects. Put them in a pot and cover with water. About 4 cups of water. I usually make sure they have enough room to double in size. On the stove, heat up those beans in the water until boiling. Let boil 2 minutes, then remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 2 hours.
I have to thank our chef friend Joe for this fantabulous hummus recipe. He turned me on to using dried beans from canned for hummus. He also recommended cooking them in broth instead of water for more flavor. This hummus rocks! Thank you Joe!

Hummus by Joe:
  • 1 cup dried chick peas
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed black pepper
  • juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 4 cups stock
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • water
Rinse your soaked beans in cold water. In the same pot add back your beans, the stock and cook about 2 hours or until the chick peas are soft when you crush them between your fingers. Once they are done, rinse them again in cold water then transfer to food processor along with the garlic, cumin, pepper, salt, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. While processing slowly add water until it reaches a firm but creamy consistency. Serve with a little cumin sprinkled on top.
Finally got back to baking some bread. This loaf is from some dough I had resting in the frig for a week. I make enough dough to bake a couple of loaves. The loaf from the aged dough is always the best. I have to thank my dear friend Janet for this recipe and for teaching me to bake bread. Thank you Janet!
Salted some eggplant prior to grilling to get some of that water out. Don't forget to rinse before you grill!
Grilled eggplant and zucchini tossed with chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano and sage), salt, pepper and olive oil. The rosemary goes beautifully with the eggplant. This idea of tossing the veg with herbs and oil comes from my culinary hero Jamie Oliver. I love his way of cooking, very fresh and simple. Thank you Jamie!
Our favorite way to enjoy onions these days. They are sweet with a smoky taste. Yummo!
Grilled shrimp marinated with sesame, soy and ginger with the leftover herbs from the veg. Chris loves his charcoal grill. He uses the chimney with newspaper to get the coals ready instead of lighter fluid and cooking with it seems to relax him. He grilled all the veg and shrimp for us Sunday and it all turned out delicious. Thank you Chris!

It turned out to be a great day and a great meal at the end. Now, to remind myself to soak my dried red beans tonight as I will be trying another yummy recipe of Joe's. Red beans and rice with Chorizo. Can't wait to see if it's close to being as yummy as his was.

No comments: