Monday, November 1, 2010

Roast away!

Food! I still love my food. I just haven't either made anything new or I keep forgetting to document. I have been going through a major lifestyle change and my portions have dwindled greatly. I'm not starving myself and only eating half of an egg white with a celery stick, just watching everything going in my trap. Not just what it is I am eating, but how much of it. That is very important. I am almost to my twenty pounds mark! I still have more to lose, but I'm having fun wearing those items in my closet that I couldn't wear for such a long time. I would love to get to the point where I have to buy new clothes because everything is too big!

I have found that we eat way more in quantity per meal than what our body needs. You go to a chain restaurant like Carrabba's (just for an example because they give you an extreme amount of food) and have some appetizers, soup or salad then the entree' (two chicken breasts with a side of Alfredo pasta) and you have eaten enough calories and fat for a couple of days! That's just one meal! I'll just stay away from there or just have the soup or the salad alone. Better yet, split a meal.....with three people.
Getting ready for Halloween with Chris carving the pumpkin. He wanted to do a recognizable character this year.
It's Jack Skellington from "The Nightmare Before Christmas"!
We saved the seeds, washed, dried them then roasted them. Delicious! I may go out and buy any pumpkins on sale now to make soup and more of these bad boys.
I found some locally caught grouper on sale and couldn't pass it up. No way. It's such a buttery fish. I had to make some creamy veg to go with it. Roasting the cauliflower is my favorite way to eat it. The charred parts are so sweet and the inside creamy. I'll do this any time before boring old steaming again. All you need is to preheat your oven to about 450, toss your cauliflower with salt, pepper and olive oil and roast away. Turning them about from time to time so you get more brown parts. It's that easy.
While I had the oven all hot, in a separate pan I roasted some cherry tomatoes and red onion with the same mixture. Salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. That's all you need.
I'm sure I sound repetitive here! For the grouper I rubbed them with....what? Salt, pepper and olive oil. Pan seared them about 4 minutes per side. Done.
Put it all together and you have a yummy little meal! I can't get this at Carrabba's.

2 comments:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Yum! All your lovely pictures are making me hungry! :) Your roasted tomatoes look amazing!

Blessings,

Val

Domestic Goddess Designs said...

Wow, mama, 20 pounds! That is so awesome! :) Keep up the great work.