Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cookie club

The weekend before last I made a batch of chocolate chip, macadamia nut cookies. They were evil in all ways and totally devoured. Kristjan ate more than Bella did. Chris ate more than I did. The extra macadamia nuts got mixed in with our weekly nut mix. Funny how those are the first eaten out of the bag I send with me to work. I eat my nuts in order. Macadamias first, then the cashews, then the almonds, then the pistachios. A snack bag full lasts me all week. By Friday all I have left in the bag are pistachios.

This Sunday I made Martha's Chocolate Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. They are chock full of goodness. This time, Bella is eating more than Kristjan. He doesn't seem to like the raisins I guess. These are very hard to stay away from. I am enjoying one after dinner. Sometimes I sneak in a second....

I think I'll make a new batch of cookies every other week or so. Weekly would be too much I think. I have gathered a list of new ones to try. I can't wait. I also joined the cookie of the day club were I get a new recipe sent to my phone daily. Dangerous. I may become a true cookie monster.

I picked up some fresh beets with their greens at the produce market and wanted to make sure to eat them before they became wilted. I cut off the beets to save for juicing and then I browned a little more of my "happy" bacon then tossed in some Swiss chard, the beet greens, garlic and some water chestnuts. It was hearty and delicious! Last night I made one of my favorites. I've posted this bad boy before and it couldn't be any easier! I roasted in the oven (all coarsely chopped), an eggplant, two red bell peppers and an onion along with about 7 whole garlic cloves and a tub of cherry tomatoes. I did the eggplant on it's own as I didn't want to crowd the roasting pan. Poured all of the roasted goodness in my food processor along with some salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper and pureed. I poured the roasted puree in my sauce pan.

While my veg was roasting I boiled my pasta. When the pasta was almost done, I threw in some chopped asparagus right in the water and let cook a bit (don't over cook your veg - crunch is good!), then drained them right along with the pasta. Place the drained pasta in the pan with the roasted puree and toss over med heat for a couple of minutes. Top with roasted pine nuts and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese. Yummo!

No comments: