Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fast Food

Not the drive thru kind of fast food. My kind of fast food. I am trying my heart out to get dinner done before 8:30pm on a week night. Doesn't always happen, but I try. Time flies when you don't have a lot of it to start with. I sometimes make the kids their favorite meals so that they can eat early. That way they are not eating two minutes before bedtime. Favorite meals being breakfast or Bella and a plate of assorted fruit and yogurt for Kris.

So I sacrifice here to live a little better there. I'm not going to beat myself up about it anymore. I'm not the only mom trying to juggle home life and work life while saying no to convenience foods. I do what I can, sometimes I slip, whatever. At least I am aware and I try.

Here's an easy dish that I absolutely loved to death. In a large roasting pan I threw in three tubs of cherry tomatoes and a whole bulb full of garlic (next time I will use two!). I tossed them with some olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs and roasted until the tomatoes where a bit browned on top. In a large pan I sauteed some mushrooms and set aside (I cooked the mushrooms because I needed to use them up!). While the tomatoes where roasting away I boiled up my pasta. Once the tomatoes where roasted I tossed them with all of their lovely juices into the pan with the mushrooms. I added a tablespoon of agave nectar and about 1/2 cup of white wine and let simmer a few minutes. I then tossed in the drained pasta and served with some freshly shaved Parmesan cheese. Perfecto!If you have leftovers or any veg to use up and some eggs, then a frittata is for you. It always works for me. I had some leftover baked potato and some fresh asparagus to use. Preheated the oven 425 while I tossed it together.

I cooked up some onion, orange bell pepper, ham and asparagus until just wilted. Then I added the precooked potato, crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper and tossed some more. I settled everything down, added my egg and almond milk mixture and topped with a little feta cheese. Baked for about 20 minutes. I served the slices with a spoonful of salsa and Greek yogurt.

1 comment:

Tuscola Today- Alysia and Syndee said...

Wow that looks really good. I'm going to have to try it. I like you comment about time. :)