Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Just missing some good Maltese bread

I was standing there staring into the refrigerator knowing I had only a few more moments to decide what to pull outta there before the green police noticed and yelled my way. Chris is my "green police". If he catches lights on with no one in the room, he turns them off or reminds you to do so. If he notices the water running too long without efficient activity at the sink, he turns it off or fusses. Same with the frig door, outside door being open with AC/Heater on, TV on with no one watching, radio on etc.

He's completely right, no doubt about it. Though, I do tend to be multi-tasking in the kitchen and have the sink running as I rinse or clean, then turn around to stir an item on the stove then turn back to continue at the sink...when he's already shut it off.

Were was I going with this? Oh, yes. The soup. Anyway, I noticed I had some ground turkey and a large bag of fresh spinach I got from the farmer's market and thought it would be perfect to make Martha's Light Italian Wedding Soup that I featured on my blog for this week. The recipe did call for escarole; which I did not have, but I figured it would be just as dandy with spinach and I precooked my meatballs in the oven a bit before adding into the soup (my way of prepping them, that I know they are moist, yet cooked all the way). It was easy to make and brilliant. Only thing I was desperately missing was a nice chunk of Maltese bread to dip. Man I miss that bread.

Here is Martha's recipe from her site (see also link above):

Ingredients
1 pound ground dark-meat turkey (93 percent lean)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
2 heads escarole (2 pounds total), cored, trimmed, and coarsely chopped

Directions
In a bowl, combine turkey, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using 1 tablespoon for each, roll mixture into balls.

In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes (with juice); bring to a simmer. Add meatballs; cook, without stirring, until meatballs float to surface, about 5 minutes.

Add as much escarole to pot as will fit. Cook, gradually adding remaining escarole, until wilted and meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Thin soup with water if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup sprinkled with more Parmesan.

No comments: