Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hockey Event

We held a customer appreciation event for work last night. We had a box suite at a hockey game, which included food and open bar. We also had several vendors and a raffle with prizes like Hp net books, digital cameras, digital frames and signed Tampa Bay Lightning gear. I don't normally attend these functions as I my position is mostly accounting, HR and operational. It was nice to get out and play with the sales staff and experience how the other half lives for a night.

I went along to help set things up, greet and sign in guests etc. When the event was over, we had some issues getting our gear back to the van. We ended up taking some routes through the arena that were pretty cool. We passed through the locker room area where we saw players passing by, the press areas and also the VIP lounges.

It was a very long day, since I got up at 5am for work and then didn't arrive home until after midnight. All in all, I had a great time. It's kind of nice to do something different to break up the hum drum of the normal work week.

Here is a view of the arena from the suite. View of half of the suite. There was enough room for entertaining and then some seating for the game.
Some of the food offered. Nice to see some fruits and veg!
Here is a shot of my manager on the left displaying one of the gifts during the raffle while Dave Andreychuck pulled the names. Dave played for the Lightning and helped them win their first (and only so far) Stanley Cup. He is also the league's all-time leader in power play goals. Before the Lightning, he played for the Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche.

Before the raffle I was at my booth just outside of the suite greeting the clients when my helpers left to have a smoke while it seemed quiet for a while. I had maybe two more clients I was waiting on, so I was out there alone just fiddling with my phone. Next thing I know, this very tall fella is standing next to me (Mr. Andreychuck) and asks what he can do for me. I ask what company he was with (to see if he was one of my last clients) and he chuckles.

He shakes my hand and then introduces himself as some fans pass by asking for an autograph. I finally get that he must be former hockey player, coach or something (feeling a little embarrassed as I am ignorant to hockey). After signing some hockey pucks for me, I directed him to our suite where he then went in and obliged other autograph requests from fans. He returned later to visit again and help with the raffle. Seemed like a nice dude.

I have my own signed hockey puck and intend of giving it to a friend of mine that is a huge fan. He goes to most of the games and his sons know all of the player's names and stats. I know they will love it.

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess Designs said...

Oh how fun! Glad you got to go. :)