Thursday, April 7, 2011

Curry time!

It has been a challenge on those week nights that I don't have anything already prepared to get dinner done on a timely manner. Since I have been going to jazzercise as often as I can, I don't get home until just after 7pm some evenings. That means, dinner for the adults is delayed. Some nights it's egg wraps, a quick tossed salad or even peanut butter & jelly. The other night I had cereal with almond milk and raisins for dinner. Chris is happy with anything rolled up into a whole wheat wrap. That's easy and I surprise him sometimes with the craziest combos.

Chris is good about getting the kids squared away. They eat from the moment they walk in the door until they go to bed it seems. Lately, Kristjan has been like a little piglet. He must be going through a growing phase because he's never satisfied. Dude needs to grow! Eating and growing is good. He's still fitting into 24 month shorts. ;o) Even though I got home after seven last night, I had to make a quality meal with plenty of veg and protein. I didn't want another bowl of cereal.

I made a quick curry powder by toasting coriander and fennel seeds then pulsed in the grinder with cayenne, cinnamon and turmeric. In my stock pot I added some oil and Smart Balance, the curry powder and a chopped onion. When the onion was translucent I added the kale until wilted. I then added some broth, water, tofu and red lentils. Towards the end I added a head of cauliflower chopped and a can of coconut milk. Simmered until the cauliflower was tender.

Turned out very good. I was only missing some Jasmine rice. It made a huge pot so I'll just cook up some rice tonight and have that with the leftover soup. I'll call this soup Curry-Coconut soup with kale, tofu, red lentils and cauliflower.

No comments: