Monday, April 11, 2011

I've been down this road before

I've been down this road before. I made it to the crossroads. I stood there, knew which direction I wanted to go, which direction I knew in my gut I should go but always turned back. I always turned back out of fear. Fear and a little laziness perhaps. Making the change would take work, and I would have to explain myself. Defend my direction. What the hell am I talking about you ask?

I've ranted and blogged on here several times about factory farming and the horrific treatment of animals in our food chain, America's addiction to sugar, fat and salt, the evils of processed foods and the ties between our government, health insurance and mega food corporations. The drug companies are tied to the food industry. Cheap food is actually costing us more. We are all becoming sick from the food and the drug companies are cashing in. There's always a pill to ease your symptoms. What about getting to the root of the problem and fixing it?

I don't want to be part of the "grid" anymore. I watched Food, Inc. again. A movie I wish everyone would watch. We kill over 10 billion animals a year for our meat consumption and I won't even go in depth in regards to the inhumane treatment they go through. Yes, billions. We're mainly growing soy, cotton and corn in this country. Everything we eat started with corn. From the food the cows at the factory farm eat (did you know cows were meant to eat grass?) to the high fructose corn syrup in the sodas and bread. We are all walking corn stalks. Genetically modified corn stalks.

I have many reasons, so many that I just don't want to detail them and risk losing your interest in what I have to say. Just watch Food, Inc. to start with. Then watch "Super Size Me", "Fast Food Nation", read books, listen to podcasts, and look up articles from Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The Omniovre's Dilema, In defense of Food), Marion Nestle (What to Eat), Kelly D. Brownell, M.D. (Yale, Rudd Center for Food Policy& Obesity), Colleen Patrick-Coudreau (Vegan activist, writer and cookbook author) and Jamie Oliver (my hero).

I know I'll probably receive a little grief for this. I've finally decided after all of these years of looking at the right direction, just to go that way. I'm going veg.

Gosh, I feel like I'm coming out of the closet here. Sheesh!

This is not all for the animals sake. By dismissing meat I lower my cancer risk, reduce my chance of heart disease, lower my cholesterol, reduce my risk of diabetes, live longer and keep a lower body weight. Those to me are brilliant reasons. There is proven evidence that a meatless diet rich in dense vegetables and whole grains can reverse heart disease (read 'The Spectrum" by Dean Ornish, M.D.).

Please don't approach me with the "you need meat for protein" argument. It won't work. We don't need animal products for protein. Where do cows get their protein? From the grass. Protein can be found in beans, legumes, nuts, grains, soy, quinoa, lentils and vegetables. Yes, vegetables contain protein. "They" don't want you to know that really. Otherwise we wouldn't be buying gallons upon gallons of milk and packages upon packages of ground beef and chicken.

I admit I have three things I can't let go of yet. My friend Kimberly's eggs from her spoiled chickens and a couple of cheeses we love where the cows involved are treated with respect and fed only grasses. At this moment I don't seem to have a problem getting goat cheese from; let's say, a small farm where the goats are treated respectfully and the process is done organically. I haven't decided yet fully on all aspects of cheese and eggs.


Don't worry...I won't force my decision on anyone else. The kids are free to make their own decision. If they want to great! If not, that's fine too. Doesn't mean I won't teach them all of their options as they grow. Chris is on board. He's happy to stay away from the meats. Besides, he can always grab a carnivorous lunch out if he wants and I promise not to slap him if he orders salmon at a restaurant.


Now that I got that out...I hope you all can be happy for me.

I found a couple of photos in my photo box that I thought I would share. Me and my beloved Smoky Mountains. I miss them so very much. It's been way too long...hope to be able to see you again soon.

No comments: