Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just the two of us

Chris and I just returned from a few days away alone. We needed some time alone. It had been four years since we had a few days to unwind. It was nice. Nanna and Nannu watched the kids for us and they had a nice trip of their own. They went over to another park where they could see animals, glass bottom boats and enjoy some rides.

Chris and I went alone to Disney. Yes, Disney. The place you normally take your children. We'll be taking the children there soon enough. We wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom and ride all the rides Bella won't and Kris can't. So we did.

We dashed over to the Magic Kingdom early. First ride was Pirates of the Caribbean (our favorite!), then Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Haunted House. Space Mountain was closed. Damn it. After that we were done. It was hotter than hell, too hot to wait in any more lines so we dashed off to Epcot.

We also focused a lot of our time on eating. Eating well. We splurged and misbehaved (vegetarian went out the window) and didn't feel bad about it. I gained two pounds along the way.
I enjoyed some yummy California rolls at Wolfgang Puck's cafe. I could have eaten more.
Chris enjoyed the Chef's Special which had tuna, whitefish, avocado and smoked eel sauce. I tried one....yummy.
I really love all of the tile work at Puck's. The cafe is not priced as high as the upstairs fine dining restaurant.

We did have one evening of decadence. We went to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and ate at a wonderful restaurant there called Jiko. I'll never forget the experience. The way we were treated, the added surprises, the food, the wine. Just lovely.
We both wanted to try new things on this trip. Chris had the duck dish. It was his first time. He loved it.




I also had something new. I had never had beef short ribs before. There were no bones, just the most tender and flavorful thing ever. The port reduction helped too. I really loved the white truffle mashed potatoes that were hidden below. My first time tasting truffle. Now I know why it's so sought after.

A very cool bar at the Animal Kingdom lodge. Dark and mellow, just like we like it. No, that is not Chris sitting there with his high waisted hip sack with black socks and white tennis shoes. Tourist perhaps?


Bloody hot outside! I felt so bad for the little guys being carted around in strollers just baking away in the heat. It's only May! August should be completely unbearable.

View of the Disney Caribbean Resort. We had quite a walk from our room to the food court, large pool and shops, but still nice. I believe next time we'll stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We fell in love with that place!

My main man relaxing with me while we were resting under the shade at Epcot. One of our favorite places there is the shaded area next to the English pub (The Rose & Crown) where you can enjoy a cold one and relax away from the crowds.


It was nice to spend some time alone with Chris. We even got to watch a movie together! Since it was so hot out we decided to catch the new Pirate movie and hang by the pool after. We couldn't wait to see the kids and even picked them up early from school.


Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Work, managed diet, exercise, school, chores, kids.... ;)

1 comment:

Best Wishes, Marie said...

glad you got away !! sushi looks super.