Friday, August 26, 2011

Thirsty for something to eat

After a week of eating soft soups, stews, lentils and pasta I wanted something crisp, light and refreshing for dinner last night. I was thirsty for some mouth watering cucumbers and crisp red onions. There's something about cucumbers that seem to quench my thirst.

When I think of a cleansing and refreshing combo, I think of cucumbers, onions and tomatoes. Kind of like in the fruit world, how watermelon and pineapple cool off your senses.


I made a "salsa" out of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese, black olives, salt, pepper and lime juice.
Isn't it pretty? I didn't want any carbohydrates just protein and fresh veg. Here I tossed together a quick salad with my lime dressing. I have been making this dressing for most of our salads lately. It's so light and tasty.

Nessa's Lime Dressing:


  • Juice of about 5 limes


  • vegetable oil - about 1/2 a cup


  • salt & pepper


  • agave nectar - about 2 to 3 tablespoons depending on your palate


  • I use my immersion blender to emulsify this into a nice creamy dressing. You can use a whisk as well. Pour over any salad!


    I had a couple of Murray's all natural chicken breasts in the frig that I just salt and peppered and seared until done. Topped with my salsa and served with the salad.

    I can't wait to have that again! I'm sure that salsa would work with just about anything. Even by itself in a wrap, with some tofu and make lettuce wraps, over scrambled eggs or even over some cooled cooked rice.

    No comments: