Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Holy miso!

On our last shopping venture I picked up a packet of miso paste. I had seen this ingredient being used in many Japanese dishes, on Iron Chef (food network) and also heard about its great flavor. This time instead of talking about it, I bought it. One packet was about eight bucks, but when you only need to use a tablespoon at a time depending on the dish, it can make several meals.

So again: Holy Miso! What an interesting flavor. It has a very earthy and hearty flavor. Like nothing we had tried before. Why in the hell didn't I use this ingredient years ago? Last night I made a quick miso soup. It was awesome.
Miso soup with soba noodles, mushrooms and spinach

2 tablespoon miso paste
1 bag fresh spinach
1 small onion sliced
2 lg portabello mushroom caps cut in cubes (black parts removed)
3 cloves garlic sliced thin
1 package soba noodles
4 cups vegetable broth
4-5 cups water
bunch scallions chopped
salt & pepper

In my stock pot with just a bit of olive oil I cooked my onion and garlic until translucent and then added the mushrooms. Cooked until most water was removed then added the water and broth. Brought that to a boil then added the soba noodles and cooked about 5 minutes until tender. While the soba noodles cooked I put some of the hot soup broth (about a cup worth) in a small bowl with the miso paste to dilute it within the liquid. Once the noodles were tender I added the spinach, cooked about a minute and then added the miso liquid. Turned the heat off and stirred the miso into the soup. Salt and pepper to taste.

Served topped with chopped scallions.

Great comforting and full of flavor soup. Go out and buy yourself some miso paste soon!

No comments: