Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Engine 2 Three Bean Chili recipe

We had a a very rainy Saturday and someone in the house mentioned how a warm bowl of chili would be perfect for a cool rainy day. Well, I just happened to have my handy dandy Engine2 book nearby and found a recipe for three bean chili.

The ingredients for this chili:

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 bay leaves2 green or red peppers, seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups water
2 28 oz cans sodium free diced tomatoes, with juice
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 1-lb block tofu, drained and crumbled
1 can corn or 1 cup frozen niblets
1 apple, chopped
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. coriander
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

I made a few adjustments. I didn't have a jalapeno pepper so I used cayenne and instead of molasses I used maple syrup. I also had about 3 cups of vegetable broth in the frig I needed to use up, so I used that instead of the water.
The chopped green pepper, celery, carrots, garlic and onion.
Here we have the crumbled tofu, tomato paste, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, veg broth and bowl of varied beans and corn that were rinsed and drained.

I simply cooked up the trilogy with garlic in a smidgen of oil, then added the mushrooms, then added the other ingredients above with the spices and herbs and let simmer. Could not be any easier than that!

Chili simmering away....yum!

Turned out really yummy! I served the chili over brown rice and also made some corn chips by baking some corn tortillas sprayed with a little Pam and some sea salt instead of processed saltine crackers. I now am addicted to these things. I'll be making corn chips now for my guacamole, soups, salsas or any other need for some crunch.

It made a giant pot! I had plenty left over for lunch, dinner again and lunch again! That helps the old pocket book right along with my cholesterol! I like that. I'll be making this chili again.



Just a side note: It tastes better the second time. Just like lasagna does.

No comments: