Friday, October 7, 2011

I was having a sandwich fix! Last night I made some BLT whole wheat pita pockets filled with Smart Bacon, watercress, cilantro, onion, cucumber, mustard, little salt, black pepper and balsamic vinegar. I need to remember to pick up some Vegenaise or Nayonaise for those occasions when I want to make a sandwich. The mustard and balsamic combo worked out good though.

That tiny bowl in the background is white hominy. We LOVE hominy. It has a sweet and savory flavor all in one. I just popped open a can, drained added some salt, pepper, small bit of Earth Balance heated in the microwave until hot. Dude! I think that's my first "nuke it in the microwave" instruction on a recipe so far! Really, the only cooking that took place last night for this was for the "bacon".

I suppose I should try the hominy again with lime juice or something like a little veg broth as the Earth Balance is comprised mostly from vegetable oils and we're trying to stay clear of those these days.

Work in progress! Chris goes in for blood work for the fun of it to see if his cholesterol has started to go down yet. Since we've started this plant strong way of eating (about two weeks now) he's already lost about 5 pounds! We'll both go for blood work right before Thanksgiving, which would give us about 8 weeks of animal free eating to see what the cholesterol levels are. I am so curious to find out!

It just has to be better. It has to get lower. I mean, we are both feeling lighter and have more energy. It's almost like the dairy and meat weigh you down. I'm not complaining, it's hard to explain, but it makes you feel cleaner.

No comments: