Monday, October 3, 2011

A must read

This is a must read for those interested in better health. I picked up this book Saturday and had it read by Sunday evening. Granted, there is a recipe section which I am still studying, but the rest of the book I swallowed up quickly and with a smile on my face. I managed to sneak reading time in throughout the weekend and stayed up really late Saturday just reading away. Reminded me of my Twilight reading fixations. This book seems to round up all of learning I have gathered from other diet books I have read and coincidentally, he refers to many of the doctors that I have been following!

I learned about this book and diet from watching the Forks Over Knives movie a couple of weeks ago. Rip Esselstyn was featured in the movie. He's a triathlon athlete turned firefighter (son of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.) who after finding out about a member of their team having dangerously high cholesterol decided to show all of the crew the benefits of a plant strong diet. All the firefighters lost weight and lowered their cholesterol.

I personally am not in need to lose any more weight (actually want to gain muscle now) but desperately want to lower my dangerously high cholesterol. Both Chris and I have high cholesterol and we both no longer want to take medicine. We want to get to the root of the problem. We feel eating a plant strong diet is the way to go.

Today's problem is like a person who stands in the sun and gets burned. Then uses a cream given by the doctor to aid in the pain, only to go back outside to stand in the sun again. The doctor won't tell them what causes the burn, just to use the cream for the pain. If the person stopped standing in the sun, they would never get burned. No more need for cream. Same goes with high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and other lifestyle illnesses. Instead of just taking pills and continuing to eat poorly, go to the source and put down that bacon cheeseburger with chili fries.

I signed up at my local Whole Foods to attend the 28 day challenge hosted by the Engine2 diet plan. It starts October 17th. Every Monday for 5 weeks we will meet to learn about recipes, diet, nutrition and to create a support group. I can't wait to join in and meet some other people trying to achieve the same goals. I will then forward my learning on to my family by telling them what I learned and cooking them some great food!

After the 28 days we'll get our blood work done to see what readings we get. We've been plant strong for 7 days so far and are loving it. Even the kids are enjoying the new flavors. This isn't a fad diet by the way, it's a plant strong and active lifestyle. A lifstyle full of protien, calcium, fiber and all of the essential nutrients needed for a strong body. A diet full of vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, legumes, whole grains and seeds.

I'm excited about it and can't wait to share our experiences and recipes with you.

No comments: