Monday, October 17, 2011

Yummy seaweed salad and a new snack!

I'll start with an awesome snack to share! I had heard about this from Martha Stewart about a year ago and just never tried it myself. I'm not sure why since it's a breeze to pull together. Now that I made it myself, it will be a regular visitor! It's not Engine2 approved since I had to use some olive oil; but hell, I can't deny myself some crunchy kale! It's so good. A little olive oil has to be better than a bag of Doritos.

Kale chips

Remove stems, clean and dry, then tear the leaves of the kale into small (not too small) pieces. Place some kale on a baking sheet, do not over fill or crowd. Drizzle a little olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Key is you only need enough to coat, not floating in oil. Bake at about 425-450 for about 6 minutes then check on them. You want them dark green and crunchy. Enjoy!

On our little grown up trip on Friday, Chris and I ran into the problem of not being able to find food that didn't contain meat or dairy. I didn't realize how hard it was outside of home. For lunch we ended up in Epcot's Morocco where we enjoyed a lentil salad, couscous and falafel wraps. Dinner we had more of an issue. Either all restaurants were booked or the only offering meat free would be to order a salad sans the chicken and cheese. Boring...

So we ended up at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant where we ordered some vegetable sushi, edamame and then a seaweed salad. Chris was blown away by the salad and ordered another bowl for himself.


This is what the seaweed salad looked like. It was so delish! It had a cool texture and definitely seasoned with sesame oil, tamari or soy sauce and ginger. We are still trying to get a hold of the fresh Wakame seaweed to make the above salad.

While at Whole Foods I picked up some dried Wakame seaweed so that we could try and make our own version. It didn't look the same since we had to rehydrate it but it tasted the same.

Our Wakame salad had wakame seaweed, carrots, ginger, tamari and sesame oil. Yummers.

We have been doing more research on seaweed. It is more nutrient dense than any land plants making it a super food. There are a couple of reasons we won't be eating it all the time though. First, the price. It's expensive. Second, it's high in iodine, so we don't want to over kill on that. But a great salad to make once a week or every two weeks or so. I am still searching for more varieties and recipes though.

My next miso soup will contain a seaweed called kombu, which is a variety of kelp. I'll also be using some udon noodles which I have never used before. More of a traditional Japanese version of the soup. I can't wait to try it and share it with you.

No comments: