Thursday, February 23, 2012

Like candy

I believe now that one of my favorite ways to cook veg is to roast them.  It always brings out more bold flavors from the food.  Steamed caulflower compared to roasted are two different animals.  With steaming cauliflower and needs the help of butter and such to bring back any savory or sweetness flavors.  When you roast them, they become these creamy, rich and sweet delights.  Same goes for carrots, parsnips, squash, potatoes.....anything!  I love to roast!
Here I made some roasted cauliflower with chick peas (garbanzo beans).  The chick peas become crunchy and meaty tasting.  Very good.    This is so easy too.  Just toss the cauliflower and chick peas with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast in the oven at about 400 degrees until browned.  I'm still working on getting a good roast down...without any oil.  So I use just enough to barely coat.
Here I have a simple toss about of summer squash, zuchinni and mushrooms with a little soy sauce, salt and pepper.
For those nights when I'm pressed for time I make a dish like this.  I just sweat some onions and peppers add a couple jars of marinara sauce, some green olives and veggie meatballs.  Served over some whole wheat pasta.
Bella loves to read. Her reading level seems to almost be that of an adult it seems. Hell, I know she reads better than some adults.... Here she is reading a story online to Kristjan.  Sometimes I catch Bella reading Kristjan books in his room.  So cute.

No comments: